Would like to start a shell dweller tank....advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon community tank that I am loving (Come on, who couldn't fall in love with khuli loaches?) and two smaller betta tanks, and we are about to set up a tank for the ridiculous amount of guppies we have! But I really really REALLY want to get in to the world of cichlids! I hope to one day have a 100+ gallon for an mbuna biotope. But the hubby says not until we move to a new house so he doesn't have to move another *explitive* tank lol! Sooooo, I am really loving the idea of a smaller shellie tank. Anybody here into the shell-dwellers? I could use some advice on which fish would be best for what I want. I am going to get a 20 long probably...thinking about multis or occies. Would love some opinions about these or other species. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I don't have any experience with those two species but I have 5 kitabe brevis Juvies at the moment hoping a pair will form... I have also kept Redfin caudopunctatus before as well.. The redefines need a larger tank than the 20l.... The species you want are perfect for a 20l... If you are going multis I recommend covering the floor of the tank with shells... The more the merrier! Multis will take I've any tank you put then in. They breed like rabbits.. I don't know much about occies. I think they tend to be a little more aggressive towards each other during breeding. I don't think they require as many shells. Maybe 3-4 per fish. Hope this helps.

Multies are not pair bonding, they breed in harems. A 20 gallon could easily do a 8-individual strong breeding adult colony.

I have a small colony of multies, feel free to pm me with specific questions

Thanks so much for the help! And freakgecko91, I will be sure to remember you when I need specific help! I actually found someone local who was wanting to rehome his entire multi colony WITH tank (woohoo!)! He actually had almost the identical setup I was pricing out so it was like fate...I am now the proud mama to a colony of adult multies and just before I went to pick them up he discovered the very first fry! They are settling in very nicely here, but I am sure I will have more questions soon. I already love these little guys and can waste...uh, spend...so much time watching them! :)

No problem! Feel free to pm away! Most of my knowledge of the species comes from personal experience with them as well as several hours of online research

Back
Top Bottom