Would This Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So all of those are good? I liked the idea of them breeding but I guess that is kinda out in such a small tank huh? Also I read that peacocks need lots of swimking space whereas most cichlids need rocks and caves. True? And what would my ph need to be?

Ok so I have done some research. I found a list I think will match what I want. The question is is it feasible?
Here is what I have found that I really like!
Pseudotropheus saulosi (Male and female. this would get me both desired colors!)
I would like to keep a few of those with a couple shellies if possible? I like
'Lamprologus' caudopunctatus
Telmatochromis bifrenatus
Telmatochromis brichardi

2 more that I like that are not shellies and Im not even sure about compatablilty but here they are.
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis
Julidochromis ornatus

So would any combination of these work?

Not to be rude but....there is no such thing as a self cleaning tank. You need to do water changes, that just part of the hobby. Also, I wouldn't recommend putting 5 peacocks I a 36g tank if you aren't ready to do a lot of water changes. Africans need good water, and a 36g is quite small. I understand you are looking for super colorful cichlids, but you shouldn't do it at the expense of the fish.

Not to be rude but....there is no such thing as a self cleaning tank. You need to do water changes, that just part of the hobby. Also, I wouldn't recommend putting 5 peacocks I a 36g tank if you aren't ready to do a lot of water changes. Africans need good water, and a 36g is quite small. I understand you are looking for super colorful cichlids, but you shouldn't do it at the expense of the fish.

Understood :) I really have to work on my wording because I turn people off all the time. I want to be able to limit the number of water changes. I currently do WCs once a month or so.
I dont think the peacocks are really what I want. What about the others listed above?

No you can't have those fish together they are from different lakes.

Ok so if I got saulosi (1 male 2 female) what could I get with them? Im not a big species tank person and Im afraid I would regret it.....

http://www.africancichlidhub.com/dwarf-mbuna-requirements-species-list/

Have a look here gives you requirements and large list pf species

.....lol I didnt understand alot of that. I am used to common names not scientific. Too make it simple if I had say 3-4 of the ones mentioned what other interested fish could I add. I am trying ti make this kinds saltwater like with the fish in the caves and such.
Alternatively is there any inverts I could keep with them?

Or I may just make my 20 tall a shellie tank lol

Shell dwellers might be more suitable for you as they are small but you would have to make sure they have sand not gravel and ovs plenty of shells they are quite sensitive to water changes ph needs to be about 8-8.3 and dh 10-20 filtration is very important as they are so sensitive to water conditions people recommend 40% a month of water to be changed so 20% every two weeks also they say you should only have one type of shell dweller personally I've never had shell dwellers maybe some else on this page might be able to help you more

Shell dwellers might be more suitable for you as they are small but you would have to make sure they have sand not gravel and ovs plenty of shells they are quite sensitive to water changes ph needs to be about 8-8.3 and dh 10-20 filtration is very important as they are so sensitive to water conditions people recommend 40% a month of water to be changed so 20% every two weeks also they say you should only have one type of shell dweller personally I've never had shell dwellers maybe some else on this page might be able to help you more

Maybe cichlids arent for me..... I was going to set them up in a self purifying tank like all my other fish. I mainly do topoffs.

All fish need water changes the gravel/ sand needs vacuuming and atleast 25% water changes for most tanks every week it doesn't take more then half hour to do on a 5ft tank it's really not hard

All fish need water changes the gravel/ sand needs vacuuming and atleast 25% water changes for most tanks every week it doesn't take more then half hour to do on a 5ft tank it's really not hard

I understand. I believe water changes are overrated in situations with natural filtration from plants. I have very healthy fish but understand that this doesnt work for all fish like sensitive species. I do not know how it works with cichlids so maybe Ill stick to my hardier species.

I understand. I believe water changes are overrated in situations with natural filtration from plants. I have very healthy fish but understand that this doesnt work for all fish like sensitive species. I do not know how it works with cichlids so maybe Ill stick to my hardier species.

Its not that cichlids aren't hardy just messy. I disagree with the shellies needing extra care but I have multis and do nothing special how ever they don't tolerate tank mates well. They are very small under 2" and only need sand and shells but they have a big attitude and will shred anything that threatens the colony that cant swallow them.

Its not that cichlids aren't hardy just messy. I disagree with the shellies needing extra care but I have multis and do nothing special how ever they don't tolerate tank mates well. They are very small under 2" and only need sand and shells but they have a big attitude and will shred anything that threatens the colony that cant swallow them.

So of the shellies listed above how many could I keep in a 20 tall? I like the goby looking ones and the white ones. Can you mix a couple of shellies species?

I've never had Shelly's before I got info off a website my bad if i was wrong.I wouldn't mind getting into Shelly's need to get another tank now lol

I only know about the neolamprologus multifasciatis (multis)
the 20 tall is the same footprint as my 15 so i would say start with 4 and 3 shells min. per fish. The multis need to be in a species only tank.
here is a pic of a couple of mine. I say start with 4 because they breed easily and are good parents.

Attachments

• multis11.jpg
    multis11.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 395
A colony of like 6 Shellie's would be great in a 20. I'd just keep them alone in there. For the 36 you really aren't able to do much other than a pair of apistogrammas ( many awesome colorful types available) or rams. You could do a colony of saulosi. Like 2 males and 7 females. That would be great color and they're awesome, beautiful, and entertaining! One of my favorites! Here's my male and females
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388975029.676061.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388975052.682708.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388975084.882560.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388975108.588691.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388975149.704808.jpg

A colony of like 6 Shellie's would be great in a 20. I'd just keep them alone in there. For the 36 you really aren't able to do much other than a pair of apistogrammas ( many awesome colorful types available) or rams. You could do a colony of saulosi. Like 2 males and 7 females. That would be great color and they're awesome, beautiful, and entertaining! One of my favorites! Here's my male and females
View attachment 215427View attachment 215428View attachment 215429View attachment 215430View attachment 215431

Now I like that idea Very colorful and clean looking.

Back
Top Bottom