Would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there. I might have a line on some cheap RCS, like a buck a piece. I am thinking of dirting and old fishbowl and planting it(microsword? Dwarf hairgrass?) and an amazon sword in the center and letting my shrimp breed in there. Is it ok to keep shrimp in an unfiltered bowl? After I got the colony going I would move most of them into my other tanks and start again

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With RCS, no. They need great water quality, and without a filter you just couldn't do that. Instead, just order an inexpensive, small little sponge filter off of Ebay. Little things go for around $4.00. That way there is some filtration, and no shrimp lets get sucked up. Hope I helped!

Nils

Thanks for the input.

Just google planted Shrimp bowl. There are a ton of threads on TPT.

Done right, they do fine.
DHG is not an easy plant. I'd do lowlight easy plants.

Yeah, I saw a bunch of bowl threads as well after I posed my question. I really want a nice carpet, that's why I was thinking DHG. I was gonna look into an LED clamp light sitting on top of the bowl for light, hoping that would be enough for a carpet along with the miracle gro substrate.

To grow a carpet you almost always need to inject CO2 AFAIK.

That would be an issue in a small bowl unless you go for a larger 3 gallon or bigger bowl. You could easily gas the shrimp unless you have good equipment.

Aww crap. You don't think a little bit of excel would cut it?

Or maybe I'll just yank some sag out of my other tank and be happy with that

You can totally do a shrimp bowl. No filter, no heater needed. I've grown glossostigma, dwarf hair grass and micro sword all in the same tank with an old compact fluorescent and no ferts or co2 of any kind other than substrate. And they've all carpeted after 5 months. Just keep up with water changes 20-30% every week and plant heavily to start and stock slowly. If you add 2-3 shrimp in the beginning and they flourish add more. If they seem lethargic or unhappy test your water and fix the problem before adding more. Lots of people keep RCS in planted bowls and vases and they breed like crazy. Just make sure don't feed too much (once every 3 days) and no temp fluctuations. If you don't add a heater your room temp needs to be at least 70F. Good luck!! :)

You could try DHG but I imagine cleaning up The trimmings would be very difficult in a small bowl.

Just remember to separate it out and plant each little bit separately and not clump it all together.

There are videos on YouTube on how to do this properly. I would never discourage anyone going ahead and trying a new plant ?
just don't break your heart if it fails.

Thanks a lot. This has turned out to be quite encouraging

I tried Myriophyllum mattogrossense after being advised my tank did not have enough light. Darn stuff grew like a WEED !!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420745361.414156.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom