Would two "light cycles" a day be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have my fluorescent hood light on a timer for around 12 hours right now, because I want it to be on in the morning and also after work, at least for a little while. I would really rather have it on less time, though, because this seems to be stimulating excessive algae growth, and because it extends the time that my poor clown loaches have to endure bright light (especially since there is a period in the morning when there's natural light, before the artificial one even comes on).

So my question is, what's y'all's opinion on having the light come on in the morning, turn off much of the time while I'm at work, and then come on again for my evenings at home? Since I'm currently the only one enjoying the fish, there's no external reason not to do so. I'm just wondering if it will wreak havoc with the fish's biological clocks and cycles and whatnot and make them unhealthy, unhappy, or confused.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have my lights kick on for half an hour in the moring so I can feed my fish while getting ready for work. Then they turn off until 10am and stay on until 10pm. Since I use a digital timer, I have the weekends set for a different schedule where they kick on at 8am which is about when I usually get up, and then stay on all day.

If you don't have plants there should be no problem with it.

even with plants Ive read of people using a "dark period" in the middle of there light cycle to help control algae.
It does help to have a consistent light cycle for your fish.. but as long as your keeping things consistent it shouldnt be harmful (consistently on, off then back on)

A short dark period for plants is ok but you wouldn't want it dark the entire time your gone. Without plants you can turn the lights on only when you want and the fewer hours the less algae issues your likely to encounter.

I'm having a flashback to the sci-fi of my youth. You know, since the lights go on and off thice each day, the fish think its really been two days and age twice as fast.....

But seriously, I would think that since there is natural light in the morning, you could just set the tank lights to be on after your work so you could enjoy the tank. If you absolutey need the tank lights in the morning, if there is some natural light in the room during the day the fish would probably just experience it as they would a cloudy day. As long as the lights dont suddenly go on and off during darkness, they would get used to it.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem at all with the lighting situation. My fish have always done fine on whatever schedule works. All summer, they were in an aquarium that didn't have a possible light fixture on the top (no conventional cover, my parents didn't want a light over it for safety reasons). When I move back to school, there will be a tall light over the aquarium, which won't be on all day due to electricity reasons. The fish do fine either way, fish aren't as fragile as you think. Fish naturally live in an environment that isn't completely stable (there are overcast days, shadows, it isn't bright for 12 hours, etc).

Back
Top Bottom