Wrong Eco-Complete Used!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

realcanadian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
D'oh.

I had a simple 10-gallon tank for the past year and a half, going strong with some platies and neon tetras and a cool piece of driftwood. Genius me: Decided to change out the inert gravel substrate with Eco-Complete to start growing neat plants... Except I used the wrong Eco-Complete substrate!

I made the switch on Friday, and after checking water parameters today, I noticed a huge spike in pH (usually sits around 6.0, now registering at 7.6)!

After some scrambling, I think I may have used the cichlid version of the eco-complete substrate (LFS had them in the same pile, I swear). I was planning on using pressurized CO2 for the plants, which should slightly lower the pH. I am not sure if that will have a huge impact since the substrate seems to be significantly buffered.

Am I out of luck? Do I need to switch out the substrate again or can I do something to keep this in control? And are my livestock in trouble?

Thank you so much!

Edit: My other water parameters are as follows: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 phosphates. Currently no plants. I had my filter with additional floss running, so I don't think I'm experiencing a mini-cycle...

Edit2: I'm not so sure anymore... This is the packing... Doesn't say cichlid-specific anywhere... Could this just be a mini-cycle then?

Attachments

• 20131208_154246.jpg
    20131208_154246.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
D'oh. I had a simple 10-gallon tank for the past year and a half, going strong with some platies and neon tetras and a cool piece of driftwood. Genius me: Decided to change out the inert gravel substrate with Eco-Complete to start growing neat plants... Except I used the wrong Eco-Complete substrate! I made the switch on Friday, and after checking water parameters today, I noticed a huge spike in pH (usually sits around 6.0, now registering at 7.6)! After some scrambling, I think I may have used the cichlid version of the eco-complete substrate (LFS had them in the same pile, I swear). I was planning on using pressurized CO2 for the plants, which should slightly lower the pH. I am not sure if that will have a huge impact since the substrate seems to be significantly buffered. Am I out of luck? Do I need to switch out the substrate again or can I do something to keep this in control? And are my livestock in trouble? Thank you so much! Edit: My other water parameters are as follows: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 phosphates. Currently no plants. I had my filter with additional floss running, so I don't think I'm experiencing a mini-cycle... Edit2: I'm not so sure anymore... This is the packing... Doesn't say cichlid-specific anywhere... Could this just be a mini-cycle then?
That's the right stuff I don't know what could be going on. What's your ph out of the tap?

Thank you for the response!

I've just checked water out of tap and it is around 8-8.4 pH. This means that the tank is fine and the issue is from the water supply. This is odd because for the longest time I was measuring 6.0-6.5 pH.

I guess I started to panic and didn't check the most obvious thing. Thank you very much for clearing this!

Tap water ph is generally quite a bit higher. Let a bucket of it sit out overnight with a bubbler or occasional stirring and then test in the am. That will give you your base line for ph to see if its the substrate or the water.

Eco complete can leech GH... but usually not KH. Do you happen to have access to a KH test kit? If not, right now I would concentrate on monitoring your pH and comparing it to tap to see if you're really changing, the change was a fluke, or if something weird happened to your tap chemistry.

All things considered though, if you pH mellows out at 7.6, that's still a very good pH to grow plants in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom