Wy Renegade's 20L Bog Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So some rambling thoughts, and a few more pictures for today. I probably should have cleaned the glass first, didn't realize it had quite that much algae on it LOL;
img_1611459_0_42e040d85875f663a23b9a9fbfaac529.jpg

Another shot of the waterstrider;
img_1611459_1_ca5ed76eea44505d5e5afe09e1af01fd.jpg

The sewage treatment plant water seems to have had no ill effects on water quality, everything is still within acceptable parameters. Kind of interesting, have to wonder if thats a good indication that the tank is very stable in terms of its biotic composition.

img_1611459_2_386d504d3635161352768f9ffa9138b2.jpg

The mussels have proven to be a very interesting addition, I didn't realize they moved around quite as much as they do. Those suckers are constantly moving from place to place, and I've always thought of them more as a sessile species.

img_1611459_3_7794d9abcab0dfe3576393070032bfa9.jpg

img_1611459_4_6e70ee08144237abc3f5fa0d6bb589b3.jpg

Intererstingly enough it also looks like we may be getting some of the sedges to take off. I've tried them in the past and they always kind of wilted away and died off, this time it looks like at least one may take off as its showing signs of new growth. The equisetum plants are starting to spread and show some interersting new growth as well.

The snail population seems to be pretty high right now, which is actually great as they are helping to control the cyanobacteria growth that was starting to show up throughout the pool/waterfall area. I never worry too much about these fluctuations as they seem to be part of the natural balance within the bog ~ some populations rise and others fall.

img_1611459_5_62013802cab99b7af5a89824ececb20f.jpg

The fish continue to be something of a source of frustration, not because of the fish themselves, but because getting a good picture of them has become so darn difficult.

img_1611459_6_a3eac8092f528c68d05e3155378797c6.jpg

img_1611459_7_bd82eb4a49bcd23f8be008524ed2a764.jpg

I think somebody asked about water changes earlier, but I missed it. I haven't done a water change on this system in over a year. When I first started I did them every couple months using a syphon to pull the water out of shallow gravel bed. I always top off this system using only RO water, which makes me wonder if I should perhaps add a little salt into the tank as well. Oh well, food for thought for another day.

So today it was time to clean out the filter system in the bog. I rinsed the media from the AquaClear20 and wow, was there a lot of junk in the media. In addition, I rinsed out at least one scud, some snails, and a small damselfly nymph. There was also a large stonefly nymph hanging out in the filter, but I couldn't get him out, so I just left him in there. Think I'll use the rinse water as seed material on the AC30 for the new bog. Trying to get it fired up this weekend, may have a new snapper coming in to inhabit it short term. The Whisper 10i pretty much just runs to generate flow for the waterfall, I'm not even running a cartridge in it at this point. While I was cleaning out the filters and cleaning the glass, I disturbed quite a few of the plants. Doing so pushed both the large damselfly nymphs, a small dragonfly nymph and two large dragonfly nymphs into view (The large dragonflies are getting quite large; one is at least an inch and the other about and inch and a half or so). Surprised me a bit as I hadn't seen them in quite awhile and didn't realize how large they are getting. I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get a picture, but before I finished cleaning the glass, this guy came out and I was able to snap a few pictures of him;

img_1616250_0_442d128e5c6754904f43c36e0b90095e.jpg

img_1616250_1_f09d4fccbe153551bfc3497cb0bfd2aa.jpg

And here's a couple shots of the waterfall now that the filters are cleaned and running smooth.

img_1616250_2_7166d4a472cc4c3160dd6bb67c761b19.jpg

img_1616250_3_0db00287e2eb8ce39c1f86ff2fb38d36.jpg

Last edited:
It's just crazy how much goes on inside of that.

Sorry took so long to respond - had to run to a fire call. There is always a lot going on that is for sure. What's funny, is with all the plants, you don't see most of it at first glance.

Had a student today ask if there were anything alive in the tank. I always have to laugh to myself when the students ask that question, and I have to think to myself "no all those green things you see in there, they're not alive at all). But I just smiled and said, "yes, there are amphipods, stoneflies, dragonflies, planaria, worms, crayfish, damselflies, mayflies, caddisflies, mussels, snails and even fish if you look closely."

"Really!" She says, her eyes getting big. Then she starts looking and finding all kinds of things, and every time she saw something new she got a little more excited. It was pretty cool to watch.

I'm slow at responding too. All good haha

That's very cool, and rewarding. If a teacher had done this back in high school, I would of probably picked up the hobby years ago.

That is my goal, making sure that the students now the proper methods to take care of an aquarium. I always have one or two that have or start one during the school year, but I'm sure that many more than that eventually start one later in life.

I can't believe I have just found this thread! I'm very jealous of your students firstly for having that tank to look at and secondly to have you teaching them about it, as it is apparent you do an amazing job.

The tank is awesome it has some great features, I'm so jealous as I wish to make a tank like this in future and if I come any where close I will be very proud, as you should be of yours. Can't express how much I love the paludarium idea of keeping plants and animals in an enclosure mimicking natural habitat.

Very impressed!! :)

Just stumbled on this thread and read it all. Good job WR. Very interesting to see it develop season by season. Do you feed anything other than the fish?
It's been said before but lucky students.

I can't believe I have just found this thread! I'm very jealous of your students firstly for having that tank to look at and secondly to have you teaching them about it, as it is apparent you do an amazing job.

The tank is awesome it has some great features, I'm so jealous as I wish to make a tank like this in future and if I come any where close I will be very proud, as you should be of yours. Can't express how much I love the paludarium idea of keeping plants and animals in an enclosure mimicking natural habitat.

Very impressed!! :)

Nomadu good to see you found your way into the mire ;). Thanks for the kind words, although I have to be honest and say it really hasn't been that difficult to. The hardest part in all honesty has been finding the native plants that will grow within the bog environment and and not out grow the tank.

Just stumbled on this thread and read it all. Good job WR. Very interesting to see it develop season by season. Do you feed anything other than the fish?
It's been said before but lucky students.

Tanktop, you were pretty dedicated if you read through the entire thread. Glad you enjoyed it. I alternately feed both high quality flakes as well as shrimp pellets. Its hard to say who gets fed however, as unlike in a traditional tank nothing (including the fish) swarms the food. The snails of course do an excellent job on the algae and cyano in the tank, and the mussels filter water. With only three fish there isn't a great bioload which is good, as there truly isn't much water in there. I have to top the water off once or twice a week depending on temperatures.

Small update for today, a picture of some moss we added to the tank;
img_1624835_0_3030028e1f289043ce19843d4def1e54.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks as though the orchid tried to bloom and then something upset it, so the flowers never actually developed. Kind of a bummer :(.
img_1624835_1_e12910aff8f7c879be03d6d7bdf8c926.jpg

The growth on the sedge plant is pretty amazing though, here is a shot from Oct. 28;
img_1624835_2_33aec523bcc002c727ec626da63e3e57.jpg

And here is one from today;
img_1624835_3_fe0b7bbb8eb11417ba4addf39781759a.jpg

Unfortunately, a lot of my time right now is being dedicated to the new bog tank. If I get a chance, I'll get a thread started on it as well.

Small update for today, a picture of some moss we added to the tank;
img_1624838_0_3030028e1f289043ce19843d4def1e54.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks as though the orchid tried to bloom and then something upset it, so the flowers never actually developed. Kind of a bummer :(.
img_1624838_1_e12910aff8f7c879be03d6d7bdf8c926.jpg

The growth on the sedge plant is pretty amazing though, here is a shot from Oct. 28;
img_1624838_2_33aec523bcc002c727ec626da63e3e57.jpg

And here is one from today;
img_1624838_3_fe0b7bbb8eb11417ba4addf39781759a.jpg

Unfortunately, a lot of my time right now is being dedicated to the new bog tank. If I get a chance, I'll get a thread started on it as well.
yay,more pictures:)

Updated FTS from today. The Forget-Me-Nots seem to be taking off right now for some reason. In fact the roots have become so thick that its no longer possible to see my favorite rock. I stirred up the plants a little today to see if anything else wanted to be seen, but nothing showed up right away.

img_1639354_0_1d5af371bd05104f2a8e926c2e828b5f.jpg

Didn't have a lot of time to look though, as we had to put together the cage for this little guy who showed up today;
img_1639354_1_75f29a374978f998a082c2685b6458af.jpg

That's one sweet bog! Who's the new guy?

--Adeeb

Thanks. No name for the new little chinchilla yet, I'll gather name ideas on Monday and the students will vote on Tuesday. He showed up today at lunch time, a gift from a old student of mine who now has a breeding pair. I've had a lot of rescues over the years, but this is the first little one I've ever had. He's 6 weeks old at this point.

I am so glad that I decided to start with page 1 of this journal. What a joy to experience the evolution of this bog tank. Your pictures are incredibly detailed and I almost felt like I was a little nymph myself exploring the wonders of the bog.

Well done......

I am so glad that I decided to start with page 1 of this journal. What a joy to experience the evolution of this bog tank. Your pictures are incredibly detailed and I almost felt like I was a little nymph myself exploring the wonders of the bog.

Well done......

Well thank you Lynda. I'm really glad that you took the time to make the journey, and that you enjoyed yourself as well. Thanks so much for looking and commenting, it certainly has been a joy for me as well.

I had to clean out the aquaclear filter on the Bog again today. I think one of the students hit the switch on the powerstrip, as it was off. However when I flipped it back on, the aquaclear started but wouldn't pull water all the way up the uptake tube. Dismantled and cleaned out the filter and got it going again. Its pretty noisy now however, and I noticed that their was no cap on the end of the impellar rod. Is this normal or has mine gone missing? Fortunately I'm getting up to the not so local LFS this weekend, so I can maybe pick up a replacement.

Anyway, when I was cleaning up after having cleaned the filter out, guess what is swimming around inside the water left over from cleaning out the filter? One of my minnows! Don't have the camera with me today, so can't snap a picture, but there it was swimming around in the water looking healthy as can be. Its a pretty small one, but still not sure it could have actually gotten into and up the tube. Anybody else ever have a similar experience?

Back
Top Bottom