xenia coral extreamly stressed and fish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallyturbo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 25 gallon aquapod and within the last 2 days i have noticed some rather weird things in my tank. my xenia coral which were about 4 to 5 inches tall are standing at about 2 inches now and are completly closed up. also within 2 days one complete branch of the xenia has detached from the rock it was on. also i have noticed that my tang has a hazzy eye which i havent noticed until now. all of my other corals see to be doing fine but the funny thing that cought my attention was i cleaned the glass and did a water change last night and when i got home today it looked like there was alot of algea buil up on the glass( also seemed like white strying things were attatched to the glass). seemed like it came almost overnight. just a little back info my tank has been set up for about a year and a half, i only use ro/di water when changing water. and all levels tested out good. nitrates, nitrites, calcium, ammon, and ph were tested. this is just really weird to me and has happend almost overnight and cant figure it out

always give exact parameters. that tang, no matter what kind it is needs to be in at least a 4' long tank or else it will probably end up dieing soon. xenia likes iodine rich water so that could be a problem. the algae could be a result of excess phosphate.

I would not go as far as to state that xeniids like iodine-rich water considering I've found that iodine additions can greatly inhibit their growth until death and for that matter, it is unknown as to what additives or even nutritional levels are persuasive of their health. They are found in nutrient-rich areas, but I do not see that as a reasonable comparison to that of an aquarium habitat.

I do agree the tang needs to be moved to a larger tank and the clouding eye could be from a bacterial infection, thus needing medication. Did you recently dose the tank with anything, heavy feeding, etc?

I too agree the tang is suffering from a bacterial infection probably brought on by a stressed immune system from being in too small a tank. I would move him to a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom