Xenia trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaliGal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Once again, thanks for all the input. There is so much to learn!

Actually, my Xenia is not healthy. The stalks are thin, weak would be a good word. Where should I begin in my testing, if I use Xenia as an indicator? The rest of the corals all look terrific, I might add.

Sue

This post was split from the original topic and moved to it's current forum to avoid confusion.

CaliGal said:
Actually, my Xenia is not healthy. The stalks are thin, weak would be a good word. Where should I begin in my testing, if I use Xenia as an indicator? The rest of the corals all look terrific, I might add.

Sue

Well, why don't we start with your tank parameters..
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
CA
ALK
Temp
Phosphate

What size tank
How much light
What kind of light
How often do you do water changes
How much
What if anything do you add to your tank
What kind of filtration

For PH and temp, the High and low for the day is important to Xenia. I will also be helpful to have those numbers. Test them first thing in the morning before any light hits the tank and again after lights out.

Kevin and Guy,

Thanks for your response. I will take readings at the times suggested and get back with the numbers. Appreciate your suggestions.

Sue

sick Xenia

:arrow: hey i have been playing with xenia for a while and it is explosive. keep it simple . i feed my xenia once a week with . Marine Snow this stuff is great, and it is about time for a product like this. also the NEED IODINE i use sea cham reef plus. good luck

Re: sick Xenia

gold93 said:
:arrow: hey i have been playing with xenia for a while and it is explosive. keep it simple . i feed my xenia once a week with . Marine Snow this stuff is great, and it is about time for a product like this. also the NEED IODINE i use sea cham reef plus. good luck

Hmmm, it was my understanding that xenia cannot feed on particulates, that they do not have the organs to process it (stomach/gut). It has been my understanding that xenia will feed off of DOC, through absorption. It has been believed that xenia needs iodine for a long time, and I think recently lots of reefers have proven that not to be the case. I am not knocking iodine, just make sure you are testig and not addig beyond NSW levels.

Back
Top Bottom