XP filter leaking down power line or how do I dry the carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I walked into the house this morning, I noticed that the water level in the tank was down a couple of inches. uh-oh. Immediately dropped groceries and tried to find the leak .... turns out there is water dripping down the power line out of the back of my Rena canister filter. I had half expected something like this from my diy inline reactor (in the outflow of the filter line) but not the filter!

What could cause this? I don't know what to do!

I'm not familiar with your filter, does it have seals where its leaking? Check these for nicks or tears, might need to replace them.

Worst case, if you can find where the leak starts, let it dry out, clean it, put some silicone on it, and let it cure 24 hours.

Is it possible your inline reactor is upping the pressure in the system, beoynd design limits of the filter?

as far as fixing filter I don't know but the carpet suck out watever water you can with a wet/dry vac(shopvac) or if you have a carpet machine for shampooing steamvac,bisselor somthing of the sort you may use that. finally you will want to treat the area with an oder supressing agent like odercide or some other pet oder killer be carful because alot of these pruducts work by killing the bacteria and molds that creat the oders so don't let over spray get in the tank or equipment it will kill your good bacteria too. finally if there is a stain preasent when it dries shampoo the area and overlap out of the stain with the uneffected carpet this will help blend the stain if it is still present when you are finnished.

Typically, the motor coils are encased in epoxy to prevent this sort of thing... Any chance the impeller shaft is not seated in the housing and allowing water into the motor housing?

I shut it all down and went over the gaskets & seals with a cotton swab. There was some 'stuff' as the swab did not pull away white but I wouldn't think that it would be a problem. Double checked that the impeller & components looked & felt seated securely and then turned it back on to see if it would leak again. So far, +12 hrs, and no leaks but am keeping a close eye on it. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

I used a wet/dry vac to get up what water I could and then lay down a towel to work at the rest. However, as it sits on carpet - I'm kinda worried that it leached down under the stand. Guess, short of tearing it down - there's nothing further to be done on that count.

krista

you could drill holes in th bottom of the stand in an inconspicuos spot and push air in just remember 2 holes 1 in 1 out. or drill the holes and just let it air dry. if you have a wood stand with the cabenet on it you could put holes there and let the door open.

If your sponges are a bit clogged, could build enough pressure to leak. Might also try rinsing out the sponges again in tank water to open up the pores more.

brant said:
you could drill holes in th bottom of the stand in an inconspicuos spot and push air in just remember 2 holes 1 in 1 out. or drill the holes and just let it air dry. if you have a wood stand with the cabenet on it you could put holes there and let the door open.

Ohhhh! That's a really good idea. Thank you!!

IME.. the plastic in filters is best repaired with super glue if you find a crack..

and use drop loops to keep water from getting to your outlets.. this is a good idea for all equipment that is conected to the tank.

I dont know about drilling holes.. a decent fan or if you happen to have a dehumidifier for the area after cleaning up the area of water with towels and such.. so long as the wood is kept in the correct position it should dry strait..

Back
Top Bottom