XP3 media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just connected my new XP3 in my new tank last night and the only media I have in it right now is the media that came with it which is Bio Chem Zorb and some 20 and 30 PPI foam sheets. I need some of the bio chem stars or ceramic rings, right? If so, how many should I get? I'm looking into buying some of the stars and they're sold in a pack of 20. Should I get just that many... do I need more? Do I need stars AND rings or just one or the other? Which is best? I'm planning on putting in some of the filter floss as well later on but right now just wondering what I need in addition to what was provided. Thanks for any input!

I would just get some Ceramic Cylinders and you will be fine. If you want extra filtering, then add some floss. Don't get the stars, they aren't what they are made out to be.

I would leave the bio chem stuff out. Not needed. Get some sort of bio filtration and some floss. My xP3's came with the bio filtration material in the form of ceramics tubes (1/2 long). You should check the what's included list from Filstar, someone may have lightened the load!
Vic

I use Matrix and Cell-Pore in my two XP3s and XP4. My theory is to use the XP for biological filtration and water circulation. No need for mechanical filtration if you vacuum your gravel during the weekly water changes.

Cloudy water is usually an indication of a tank that's not biologically balanced. The tank contents (gravel, plants, etc) as well as the first stage filter sponges in the XP3, should support sufficient aerobic bacteria (fish/food waste to nitrate conversion). The "thick" bio-media (Cell-Pore, Matrix, stars, ceramic rings, etc) produce a small quantity of anaerobic bacteria (nitrate reduction).
Together, both types of bacteria, help form a balanced environment for your fish.

I liek the cylinders the best, water flows through them onstead of around them, plus you can get them to compact better than the stars, so you can add more in your filter. I picked a huge box of ceramic rings at Pet land for 9 bucks, I filled up my cascade, a HOB on my 10 gallon ( the filter wa smad efor my 29 gallon ) I still have a good couple hand fuls left

I've already purchased and been using the ceramic rings. I had more recommendations for them and they seem to be working just fine.

It might help with ammonia problems if you have any,... I don't think it will change anything else....

Lava media is another great source for bio-media. The only way it affects water is removing ammonia and nitrite when the bacteria colonies grow on it. Other than that, does not affect the water at all. :)

do u guys have the rings in a net bag and then place it in the basket or striaght into the basket?

Back
Top Bottom