xp3 output

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chappy6107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
if the output wand is underwater will it agitate the water enough to oxygenate it or does it have to be above the water to do that. thanks

Welcome to AA :D

Underwater is fine as long as it's near the surface and provides a slight ripple. No need to have it above making excess noise.

Is this for a FW or SW tank?

thanks, it is for fw. i am currently in the first week of the cycle and bought the test strips. was that a waste or what, the colors are barely even close the the color charts provided.

Welcome to AA!

I'd recommend getting the API master test kit. You'll be much happier, and the results are much more accurate. They are, however, still using color matching to distinguish levels, but it is a much more accurate test.

Are you running a fishless cycle? If you are, and you can tolerate the noise, aim your spraybar more at the surface during your cycle. The extra oxygen is beneficial to speeding your cycle along.

What test kit are you using and how are you cycling? (hopefully it's fishless)

If cycling properly you should see some nh3 by now.

it is a fishless cycle. i am using mardel's 5 in 1 test strips and mardel's ammonia test strips. the ammonia source is a couple of sinking food pellets. there is a piece of curling bamboo inside the tank with pool filter sand a stealth heater, and an artificial plant. here is my day 8 reading:

ammonia .25
ph 6.4
alkalinity 0
total hardness 120 (moderate)
nitrite .5
nitrate 20

I used a product called cycle on day 1 and day 7 to help boost the bacteria. any thing look bad so far? i know a lot of newbies will give up but that is not me. if it takes longer thats ok, it just means more time to figure out what kind of fish to put in the aquarium. any input is greatly appreciated. thanks

Back
Top Bottom