Yay! I finally have fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally went today and got some fish for my newly cycled 45 gal. tank. Made some newbie mistakes already: way overpaid for a few species, dropped one fish on the floor while transferring it to the bucket for drip acclimation. I got 3 Furcata rainbows, 3 threadfin rainbows, 6 white clouds, and 2 American flag fish. So far everyone appears active and healthy. If they all survive till the weekend, I'll get more to fill out schools. I'm also planning on a bushy nose pleco, some otos or cories, and maybe a dwarf gourami. I had been planning on some Killies but the guy at the LFS made it sound like they only live a year at best. Is this true?

Oh yeah, and I just burned my new driftwood when the pan boiled dry. Is it still useable for a pleco?

I'm not sure if it's all killis but I know that at least some only live about a year. Just research the specific ones you are looking at.

Nice start!

It is a myth that killies only live a year. It comes from the fact that some species in the wild lay eggs and die as pools dry up. The eggs survive until the next wet season, hatch etc. A killie that only lives a year. I've had annuals live for 4 years and reproduce several times per year. It is much different in aquaria, it always stays wet.

HN1 said:
Nice start!

It is a myth that killies only live a year. It comes from the fact that some species in the wild lay eggs and die as pools dry up. The eggs survive until the next wet season, hatch etc. A killie that only lives a year. I've had annuals live for 4 years and reproduce several times per year. It is much different in aquaria, it always stays wet.

Oh, great! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom