Yellow coloured aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgeayoor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys
I have recently made a live plant aquarium which is on my my dreams. But the problem its yellowish colour and look dirty. Here we have approached a local shop and bought 1 bag of fertilizer and mixed with gravel. There is no problem for fish but water is yellow colour. We thought its the problem of water and we changed water many times.. Pls help

image-1533689035.jpg

Aquarium picture

is that real driftwood in the tank and if so how long ago did you get it?

My guess is tannin in the wood, it gets us all at one point!

Ya this is real drift wood . But I kept it on last week. Before that I found this issue and tried my best by changing water.now lost all hope to see my aquarium in clear water

Am using demineralized sea water which is available here. That is the only source of water here.is it having any reaction with fertilizer and gets yellowish?

Georgeayoor said:
Ya this is real drift wood . But I kept it on last week. Before that I found this issue and tried my best by changing water.now lost all hope to see my aquarium in clear water

Dont feel too disheartened if you look at my pics on my profile you will see how brown mine was only a few months ago. It's been through many changes but the water will eventually go clear just normal once weekly 50% water changes and in time it will go.

Thanks for giving confidence .earlier before adding fertilizer and live didt have such issues. But would like to the actual reason behind this colour change. Is it any algae ? Or any metals or minerals in fertilizer which had reaction with minerals or chemicals in water and get yellowish?

that looks like my water did too. it was due to the tannisn in the DW. I've since taken the wood out an am soaking it but it's been over a month and i still have to change the water daily due to it being brown...i've heard certain woods can leech tannins for a LONG time. I am by no means any sort of expert though.

This driftwood is very new . Kept only on last week. But this colour problem I have from the last 3-4 months

Yea, some woods leach for a long time. You can try adding carbon or purigen to your filter to see if that helps take the edge off.

Hey , I have tried that too. Kept two bags of activated carbon below sponge in filter. But there is no significant improvement . Don't what to do now.

Try purigen? I've heard better things with it regarding tanins.

Water changes might be your best defense... either that or taking the wood out and boiling it for a few hours.

Dear
Thanks for your quick response . I have this issue from the last 4 months and this drift wood kept only only last week . Hence drift wood is not the root cause. Something else which I couldn't find till now

Just have few live plants , but I had mixed fertilizer with gravel which I bought from an aquarium shop in UAE

Please elaborate on "mixed fertilizer". I have the feeling that there might have been peat in there....

The fertilizer is some branded aquarium fertilizer . I have mixed with stone/ gravel and layer a layer at the bottom of the tank. The fertilizer is black in colour . Tomorrow need to buy a bag of Puritan and try that too

Do you happen to know the brand name or anything of the sort? Is it just plant substrate, or is it more of a dirt?

purigen works great, plus you can also recycle it with a bleach and water soak. I agree it is probably the driftwood, but if it has been for the last 3 to 4 months, what else do you have in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom