Yellow eye kole sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Image1491098087.328493.jpg
Hello I had this yellow eye for about a month now and all of a sudden he hiding towards the bottom and seems like he's breathing heavy. He was just eating and acting fine a hour ago. Any idea what this can be

looking at his fins circled in red looks like he may have ick

g8AQCNE.jpg

So do I have to take out all my fish and treat or just him? And how do you setup a qt tank fast so I can get fish in it asap

And would a cleaner shrimp help get rid of the ich the guy at the fish store said it will eat it off of him

First off, I'd treat him in a QT system with a copper based medicine.
What are the parameters in the system? How large or a system? What are the other inhabitants?
A cleaner shrimp won't do anything in terms of ich. The only time you see ich is during the cyst phase of its life cycle.

The tank has great levels besides for my ph being a bit low. I have a six line and 2 clowns along with 2 starfish and a cleaner crew. The tang seemed to be doing great until a hour ago. I just checked on him and he's swimming around and seems to be breathing normal again

For my qt tank do I remove all the fish and starfish? Or just remove the fish that's sick?

I'm not sure what great means, but there is something going on that is stressing the tang. Is there bullying going on that you've noticed? Can you tell us more about the system?

No the tang is shy he tends to hide in the rocks then when I put seaweed in he swims right up to my hand. Nitrite are 0 ph is 7.5 and nitrate is about 10

I have two power heads in the tank I have a protein skimmer rated for 100 gallons and also a hob filter

Should I take the other fish out of the tank and put into a hospital tank?

Okay so I can leave the rest in the main tank? I was at my local fish store and they said they put s bit of cooper in all they fish tanks. Is that okay?

No that will kill all your inverts. That's what you would use in your qt tank

Okay so I can leave the rest in the main tank? I was at my local fish store and they said they put s bit of cooper in all they fish tanks. Is that okay?

No that's not ok

You use the quarantine tank to treat the sick fish not the other way around. this is so you don't introduce copper into your display tank . that's the point for having a QT Tank.

Copper in your display would also render your tank useless for a reef as copper will leach into rocks .

causing many corals not to grow or just die off , same goes with inverts any traces of copper will kill existing inverts and kill any added in the future copper is a heavy metal it will always be present in your display as your rocks will ex orb it like a sponge. this is why it's not recommended ever to treat the main display tank.

DO NOT TREAT FISH IN YOUR DISPLAY TANK THAT'S A BIG NO NO
The advice given by your pet shop is incorrect , this will not only cause you big problems now but many years to come.

I'm sorry I meant at the fish store they have like fresh water decor and they add a bit s cooper to help prevent ich. Sorry I'm setting up my hospital tank now.

I read that I just use my display tank water to fill up my hospital tank, is this correct?

no apology needed just didn't want you going in the wrong direction as you were mislead with inaccurate information by the pet store .

you don't need to use water from your display as that's not really necessary , you can use fresh mixed saltwater remember you'll need to keep a close eye on parameters and temperature in qt tank so daily water changes will be necessary to keep parameter levels in safe zone,

ammonia and nitrite are the two you need to keep a eye on the most along with salinity level . I always try to keep my QT with a salinity of between 1.021/1.023 , some even bring it down as far as 1.018 to hyper salinity , But I don't think you need to go that low though , just be sure you acclimate like you did when you first introduced the fish to your tank . this will help the fish transfer go a little easier .

one other thing you need to know it's not necessary to raise the temp like it is done in freshwater, just match QT temp with your display temp.

freshwater and saltwater are 2 different echo systems things are done totally different , saltwater is very unforgiving if things are not done correctly . so please be cautious while in qt being treated ,

this link to a article from live aquaria/Dr Foster&Smith will give you a fairly good idea of what your going to be doing during treatment.

http://www.liveaquaria/Dr.Foster/Smith.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=81

remember it's always best to ask if your unsure of something just don't wing it so to speak , we have all been there one time or another so it's always better safe than sorry .

Last edited:
Okay now if the fish is kinda hanging out by the powder head does that typical mean ich? I have the qt setting up and will be putting the fish in the tank tonight.

Back
Top Bottom