Yellow sea cucumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierro Nights

Aquarium Advice Freak
i saw a what looks like a yellow sea cucumber at the fish store, its hot pink with some rows of blue spots on its sides and a giant yellow tree looking thing sticking out of its front. i looked online and it looks just like a yellow cucumber but ive read they only grow to 2", the one i saw at the store was about the size of a 16oz glass, ( two coffee cups stacked ) is it the same type of cucumber, and if i put it in a 20gal, will it sit in one place and filter feed or is it too much of a risk and kill everything in my tank? anyone keep one of these things w/out it poisoning the tank after acclamation or anything?

they do not live well in captivity, though I do not know what species you are talking about they general have poor survival and I would not recomend it.

They must be spot-fed often if not daily (unskimmed tanks worked best for me). I've kept some for several years before having to give them away (unrelated to their health or system health). Not to say that 3-5yrs is a long time, but I don't see why you couldn't be successful if you take the time every day. These particular cucumbers and other reasonably small species, under 3", usually will not cause much harm, even if they perish; however, larger cucumbers (perhaps excluding detrivores) and especially the infamous Sea Apple I would be wary of. It usually takes quite a bit of roughing up for a cucumber to defensively combust. You obviously wouldn't want to keep it with any predatorial fish (triggers, puffers, etc)...just my experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom