Yellow Tang with black spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

regaltang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Yellow Tang which I have had for 3 months now appears to have a few small pin head black dots over body and fins. Is this a form of ICK? and what is the best treatment. Other fish appear fine and show no signs of black spots.

Any help is appreciated.

A fresh water dip will help but I would instead suggest you QT the tang and any other fish in the diplay tank. Tubellarian worms are much like ich when it comes to fish. If one has it they all will to some degree. The parasite also multiplies on the substrate or other hard surfaces so once in the tank, it will stay as long as it has a food source. 8O

The same basic recommendations apply as with C. irritans. QT the fish and treating with hyposalinity will be much less stressful on the fish than a dip but in this case both will work. Although with FW dips, you may need to do it a few times (which could lead to other issues). Just be sure the fish are not placed back in the display for a full 8 weeks or the cycle will begin again.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom