Yellow tang with tiny black dots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey can some one help me please???

Yesterday my yellow tang was fine but then today I noticed tiny little salt grain sized black dots on him, his not fully covered but there are black dots on his body/face.

He still eats fine, colour is still nice and bright and he is very active. Is it something I should be worried about or is it nothing?? If it is something to worry what should I do?

In case you need to know about the tank:

- I have a 75g tank
- 40-45 kg of LR.
- Matrix as the filtration in the sump.
- no corals or anemones

Thanks heaps

- Danny

I tried catching him but no luck... He keeps going into the rocks. The tang is one fast swimmer. Is there anything else I can do??? I read some where that tri sulfat is pretty good. Is that true? Thanks again

Does it mean it's getting worse mow because he keeps rubbing him self against the glass and rocks??

Danny

Likely. Yes. It's irritating him more obviously.

I had luck catching a yellow tang once as soon as the lights first come on in the morning (or whenever). They seem groggy and kinda stumble around then.

They got great eyes. They can see you with the net from 6 ft away IME.

When my yellow tang had it I just made sure he was eating plenty of greens. By that I mean plenty of dried seaweed, They are herbivores and with lots of greens their immune system will improve helping them to reject it better.

His got some tiny black dots. They popped up from no where. They are the size of a grain of salt. So tiny. Today he starting to run him self against the glass and rocks.

Danny

Get some dried seaweed and a clip or rubberband it to the rocks. This will boost his immune system. It definitely is what Ray posted on that link.

I am currently feeding the frozen tiny shrimp (can't remember the exact name) and also pellets.

I'll get some sea weed tomorrow with the clip and try that and see how it goes.

Would there be any harm if I use the tri sulfate?

- Danny

Like I said, I know nothing about tank additives and sick fish meds, nut since it looks like you haven't been feeding him anyting resembling a vegetable, I'd focus on feeding as Mike is suggesting - and like any other search will tell you.....tangs are herbivores and need a lot of green matter in their diet.

Your assignment - even if you don't choose to accept it :), is to read up any anything you put it that tank and understand its dietary needs before you bring it home.

Just an update Regarding the sick yellow tang:

I tried and tried but couldn't catch him. Removing the rocks isn't really an option.

So I ended up going go a few LFS and had a chat and the one I normally go to suggested to use the tri sulfate which has a very low dose of copper which she said won't harm anything because I don't have corals.

I done a 25% water change and used the tri sulfate but the dose i used was a little less then the recommendation on the packet (as per my LFS saying to do so)

It's been a couple of days and I can start to see the little black dots going. His not rubbing him self any more on the glass.

I also go him some dried seaweed and attached it to the tank which he ate.

Just quickly regarding the sea weed. How long can I leave it in the tank for, or do I need to take it out? It's currently been in for 1 day attached by a clip with suction cup.

Thanks again for everyones help over this. I really appreciate it.

- Danny

Mine never last longer than an hour so I really dont have a definite answer. If he`s eating all of it in a 4 hour window I think that should be OK. Just as long as big pieces are not coming off and floating away and fouling up the tank.

Also just so we know these parasites will fall off the fish giving you the impression that they are disapearing when in reality they are falling off to the subtrate and then hundreds will come from that one parasite. Then there will be a big infestation again. BTW isnt tri sulfate an anti bacterial med. This wont do anything to the parasite and will wipe out alot of your good bacteria.

Last edited:
melosu58 said:
Mine never last longer than an hour so I really dont have a definite answer. If he`s eating all of it in a 4 hour window I think that should be OK. Just as long as big pieces are not coming off and floating away and fouling up the tank.

Also just so we know these parasites will fall off the fish giving you the impression that they are disapearing when in reality they are falling off to the subtrate and then hundreds will come from that one parasite. Then there will be a big infestation again. BTW isnt tri sulfate an anti bacterial med. This wont do anything to the parasite and will wipe out alot of your good bacteria.

Mmm no I'm paranoid again. How long will it be before I see them come back? What are other options if I can't catch him. There must be something I can do?

Also do they only affect the tang? As all the other fish seem fine so far??

Thanks

- Danny

mmmm this is stressing me out now. The black dots have returned to the fish.

im going to get my self a QT. is there any specific things i need or just a bascial small tank with a filter?

Where should i be getting the water from? should i be out of my DT?

Sorry for the dumb questions but i think i need to spend some time and try and catch him again.

I have no idea what i should i should be getting for the qt so i'd appreciate everyones feedback

thanks again for everyones help

-Danny

Back
Top Bottom