Yes ladies and gents, we have now a King AND a Queen !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
LoneWolfBlue has been named the king of ich, and now I think I'm the QUEEN !

I finally put new fish in last week after all the horror's of the meds that killed the bio-filter and the ick treatment before that. The new fish had been QT'd for a week. Yesterday I put in three other fish, which had also been QT'd for a week. I was so happy, my one remaining panda finally had friends again.

Last night I was smiling wide as I watched the panda's play and noticed ONE SPOT on the top of the original panda's dorsal fin. Checked all the other fish - no spots, no flashing. It was just that one little spot, on that one little fish. I was hoping it was my overactive and overcautious imagination, but just in chase I started the "anti ick dance" (this dance includes shaking fists at the sky and banging head against walls).

Today I'm sitting here reading AA posts, watching the fish happily swimming through the caves, picking at the algae, and otherwise romping, just being happy fish .... HUH ??? what's THAT ????? Did I just see the panda with the one little spot FLASHING ?????

Oh YEAH, you BET he's FLASHING - BIG TIME. It loked like he was freaking out for a minute there, bouncing between objects to rub against.

And now we start the third bout with ick in two months !!!! I might as well just leave my temp at 89 indefinitely.

This time I'm leaving the temp up for FOUR WEEKS after that last spot is gone. The panda cories are going to HATE IT, but I've just GOT to get rid of this ick somehow. I wonder if I have that proported weird Florida strain that needs temps of 90 or above to kill it.

I'm really beginning to wonder if its worth using Quick Cure or Ich Guard into the QT tank regardless of whether I actually see signs of ick in the new fish.

Gees, sorry joannde. :(

FWIW, I wouldn't use the meds due to the cories. They seem to be quite sensitive to it, from what I'm read from other people and experienced myself. If you want to though, you could try with some Quick Cure, but do it at half dose.

Really hope the fish pull through fine. Is this in the tank that you just got done treating?

Are you only using heat?

Sometimes there are cool spots in the tank the ich can survive in.

Use 2 tsps of salt per gallon of water with the heat and you'll never see ich again.

Alas yes, its the tank I just got done treating. Never a dull moment, huh ? I wasn't thinking about using the ick guard in the main tank - for that I'm using heat only. I was thinking of using the ick guard in the QT as I QT any additional new arrivals - ie: treat em whether they have it or not so that its not introduced.

Ice - I need to look up the effects of salt on the tank inhabitants. I know the snails are "somewhat tolerant" if the salt is added slowly; I'll need to check on the exact tolerance amounts. I'm not sure about the panda cories - somehow I think they won't tolerate it well. I assume the platies and guppies will be fine, but I'll check on them also (unless you happen to know already ?).

Back
Top Bottom