Yet another 55 gallon stocking idea thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I will probably be getting a 55 gallon tank tomorrow from a very awesome fellow new Yorker through a trade. Looking to go big fish with this one and was wondering if you guys had any ideas, i don't have access to a ton of cichlids but here's what I was thinking,
1 Angel
2 firemouths (pair)
3 blood parrots
Either a rainbow shark or pictus cat (which?)

So I will probably be getting a 55 gallon tank tomorrow from a very awesome fellow new Yorker through a trade. Looking to go big fish with this one and was wondering if you guys had any ideas, i don't have access to a ton of cichlids but here's what I was thinking,
1 Angel
2 firemouths (pair)
3 blood parrots

I don't know much but I would say get a rainbow shark because pictus catfish need to be in groups of 3 or more.

Pleco11771 said:
1 Angel
2 firemouths (pair)
3 blood parrots

I wouldn't do the firemouths

Alright after doing more reading, I also saw that larger species can be kept by themselves. So i guess it depends on how big you buy them.

Hmmm at my lfs their about 5 inches

then you might be ok with 1. Where I buy my fish they are about 2.5-3 inches so I would have to buy a school, but 5 inches could be fine. You might need to do a little bit more research on how big they grow though, because I've read some sites that say they grow to 6", some that say they grow to 10". This could help you figure out whether 5 in. is a "larger species" or not.

Hmm thinking 3 blood parrots may be a little much,
1 angelfish
1 pictus catfish
2 firemouths
Any other suggestions on 3 medium sized fish? Medium to top swimmers

I hate to be this guy but honestly i would keep no other cichlids with two firemouths. They tend to be very territorial. If you want to do FMs i would do:
2- FMs (bottom level swimmers. I would push you against a bottom feeder)
8-rosy barbs?

Another tank idea would be:
3- jewel cichlids
1- Synodontis Eupterus OR redtailed shark OR some othe larger bottom feeder

Hmm what if I did,
2 angels
1 firemouth
1 pictus catfish

Or
2 angels
2 blood parrots
1 firemouth?

Im gonna throw a bunch of ideas at you and you tell me the ones you like.

1. JD pair
2. 4 BPs one bottom feeder
3. 4 angelfish, 1 bottom feeder, 8 neon tetras.
4. Salvini pair
5. FM pair, barbs
6. 3 jewel cichlids, Syno Eupterus
7. Red Devil
8. Green Terror
9. Convicts if u really want to.. I wouldnt.
10. I might as well suggest discus at this point haha..

REALLY like numbers 1 and 3 wish I could find JD's in my area.

The red devil and terror get to big I think

Maybe I'll throw a WANTED in the classifieds for a pair of JD's or if someone has a LFS near them with JD's and could ship to me

Pleco11771 said:
REALLY like numbers 1 and 3 wish I could find JD's in my area.

The red devil and terror get to big I think

U can keep a red devil or a terror in for anywhere from 1 to 2 years. Life maybe. And the angel idea is something i would love to do myself but not right now. Make sure if u get the angels u get them very small. And the JD problem.. Tell ur LFS you are interested and ask if they could order you a pair. Some are more understanding
than others.

Back
Top Bottom