Yet another cycling question (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dang urs sounds identical to mine. My ph from tap is 7.4 and an hr after 80% wc its 6.0. But I don't have any nitrites!

My guess is that the cycling process is consuming buffers, but it happens so fast! I've always had a steady ph of 7.6, but after adding dw to my main tank it has gone down. Now I've got these crazy low ph readings during my fishless cycle in my new 10g.

Reygan2 said:
My guess is that the cycling process is consuming buffers, but it happens so fast! I've always had a steady ph of 7.6, but after adding dw to my main tank it has gone down. Now I've got these crazy low ph readings during my fishless cycle in my new 10g.

But my tank is established its coming out of tap at. 50

Good report! I tested last night...and my ph was 6.8, my trites finally came down to .50, my trates are 40(?) I expected them to be higher, they were 180 the day before. Anyway, my ammo was 0!! So I dosed up to 2ppm. I can't wait to see what's happening this evening.
I still don't understand why my ph is so low. For months it was 7.6. I do have real dw now, but I didn't think it could make that much of a difference.
I have no idea what I'm going to put in this tank. I really just wanted to experiment with successfully doing a fishless cycle using ammonia and seeded media:D.

Thats great to hear!! Just keep your eye on your ph- once it hits 6.5, nitrification slows down, by 6 it stops altogether. I have to suspect your dw in the low ph. Maybe you could boil it for awhile or resoak it out of the tank?

The pieces I have aren't leaching detectable amounts of tannins, but I'm sure that's the culprit. I've been closely monitoring my ph, and it did get too low. I had to do a 100% wc Tuesday evening and another 80% pwc Wednesday to get it up to 6.8. I also added some flakes. I hope it stays steady so my cycle can finish. I shouldn't be too long now. I'm in day 13 using seeded media.

Update: I dosed up to 1ppm last night. My ph is stable again tonight, at 6.8. Ammo is 0, trites-1, trates-20 or 40...can't tell the difference in those two colors on the chart.

My question is.. should I dose again tonight? And how much?

Finally cycled!

Checked just a minute ago and 0 trites, 0 ammo! Trates were only about 40 though, I thought they'd be higher. I dosed back up to 2ppm. We'll see tomorrow. Here's the tank...now what in the heck will I put in it? Oh yeah, it took 15 days using seeded media.

Attachments

• new cycled 10g 001.jpg
    new cycled 10g 001.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 38
YAY!!! Thats great news!!! If its zeroed out again tommorrow, go ahead & increase the amm to @3 (then 4 the next day). Good job!! :)

Reygan2 said:
Checked just a minute ago and 0 trites, 0 ammo! Trates were only about 40 though, I thought they'd be higher. I dosed back up to 2ppm. We'll see tomorrow. Here's the tank...now what in the heck will I put in it? Oh yeah, it took 15 days using seeded media.

It looks great

False alarm. I had nitrites show up tonight after only dosing to 2ppm last night. My ph is only 6.4. I might have to do another pwc. I don't think it's too far off. Luckily I'm not in too much of a hurry:)

False alarm. I had nitrites show up tonight after only dosing to 2ppm last night. My ph is only 6.4. I might have to do another pwc. I don't think it's too far off. Luckily I'm not in too much of a hurry:)
yep I think I would do the water change. I think jlk says at 6.5 it slows and at 6.0 it stalls

Im sorry this happened! Yes, your ph slowed things down. A water change is order when you have the time to do one. Things should bounce right back once your ph is back up. :)

I'm wishing I had added the dw after the cycle was complete. I let some tap water sit out overnight and tested the ph and it was 7.2. It usually reads right at 7 in my 29g. I have a huge piece of dw in there. The low ph in the cycling tank is strange.

Well, you can always pull the dw out & resoak it until the cycle is done before adding it back in again. Your ph drops are def having an affect here so its something to consider. :)

i think that is what I would do (remove the DW). couldn't you just get a container and put the driftwood in it with some tank water, add some more water to the tank and finish your cycle?
I guess the real question is do you have another container to hold the driftwood. wouldn't a big 5 gallon bucket do the trick?

i think that is what I would do (remove the DW). couldn't you just get a container and put the driftwood in it with some tank water, add some more water to the tank and finish your cycle?
I guess the real question is do you have another container to hold the driftwood. wouldn't a big 5 gallon bucket do the trick?

That is a good idea. I did an 80% pwc last night and it brought my ph up to 7, and it's back down to 6.6 tonight. I tested and this is the 2nd night that ammo and trites have been consistantly at 0:dance:. My trates are up to 80. So, I'm thinking I've finally finished. I just need to dose enough to maintain my BB now. I won't get fish til the weekend.
What should I shoot for as a maintanence dose?

Reygan2 said:
That is a good idea. I did an 80% pwc last night and it brought my ph up to 7, and it's back down to 6.6 tonight. I tested and this is the 2nd night that ammo and trites have been consistantly at 0:dance:. My trates are up to 80. So, I'm thinking I've finally finished. I just need to dose enough to maintain my BB now. I won't get fish til the weekend.
What should I shoot for as a maintanence dose?

Most dose up to 2 just to keep bb alive

Back
Top Bottom