Yet another cycling question (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a good idea. I did an 80% pwc last night and it brought my ph up to 7, and it's back down to 6.6 tonight. I tested and this is the 2nd night that ammo and trites have been consistantly at 0:dance:. My trates are up to 80. So, I'm thinking I've finally finished. I just need to dose enough to maintain my BB now. I won't get fish til the weekend.
What should I shoot for as a maintanence dose?

Dose the same as you have been; you don't want the bacteria getting lazy :) It'll adjust to the amount of ammonia in the tank so if it's processing 4 ppms of ammonia keep it that way until you get fish. It'll then just down to however much ammo your fish produces.

This has probably been addressed before, but my question is...if my nitrates are so high just one day after an 80% pwc, does that mean I'll have to continue doing large pwc's frequently or will the nitrates decrease as the bioload decreases? I'm only going to add a Walmart rescued "betta in a cup" and maybe some shrimp, so my bioload is going to be really small, due to it only being a 10g.

Lets start with this- how do your numbers look today? As you only plan on keeping a single betta, theres no need to get this tank cycled to 4ppm (2ppm is more than sufficient). The 4ppm amm is the reason you are seeing such high nitrates- with a single betta, you will probably only see nitrates increase a tiny bit & this will be addressed with weekly water changes. No worries! I would recommend cutting back the amm dose to 2ppm & lets finish cycling this tank!

Lets start with this- how do your numbers look today? As you only plan on keeping a single betta, theres no need to get this tank cycled to 4ppm (2ppm is more than sufficient). The 4ppm amm is the reason you are seeing such high nitrates- with a single betta, you will probably only see nitrates increase a tiny bit & this will be addressed with weekly water changes. No worries! I would recommend cutting back the amm dose to 2ppm & lets finish cycling this tank!

I think I'm there jlk:). I've had 2 days of ammo and trites at 0 within 24 hours. I've only been dosing up to 2ppm for the last couple of nights. I would like to add other fish to the tank but I'm not sure what I would put in with a betta. I could do some ember tetras, but I'd have to order them. I have 5 neons in my 29g, but 10g may be too small for them. There are few options with this size tank.

I think I'm there jlk:). I've had 2 days of ammo and trites at 0 within 24 hours. I've only been dosing up to 2ppm for the last couple of nights. I would like to add other fish to the tank but I'm not sure what I would put in with a betta. I could do some ember tetras, but I'd have to order them. I have 5 neons in my 29g, but 10g may be too small for them. There are few options with this size tank.

Thats great news!!! I am not going to be of much help in respect to suggesting other fish compatible with bettas- im a coldwater girl! Hopefully, someone else can advise! Good luck!!! :)

Reygan2 said:

That was a really fun thread to read. :). You were so upbeat about the whole thing! Anyway, what about glo-light tetras. I think that's what they are called. I saw some at petco and they looked so pretty. I want some but have no room in my little 5gal tank that is currently occupied with a dwarf red flame gourami and 2 little pond guppies.

I really don't know what would be good in a tank with a betta. My mom had a betta in a 20gal with some angel fish years ago. Angels get pretty big though don't they?

I really like the way your tank looks. Make sure you post a pic of your new fishies when you get them settled in! :)

That was a really fun thread to read. :). You were so upbeat about the whole thing! Anyway, what about glo-light tetras. I think that's what they are called. I saw some at petco and they looked so pretty. I want some but have no room in my little 5gal tank that is currently occupied with a dwarf red flame gourami and 2 little pond guppies.

I really don't know what would be good in a tank with a betta. My mom had a betta in a 20gal with some angel fish years ago. Angels get pretty big though don't they?

I really like the way your tank looks. Make sure you post a pic of your new fishies when you get them settled in! :)

Thanks! This is an absolutely exhilarating hobby, and believe me I have wanted to pull my hair out several times since I started fishkeeping last July. The members of this site pulled me through and helped me keep my sanity:lol:. Now I have multiple tank syndrome and I love every minute of it! I'll be sure to post pics when I stock it.
Oh yeah, angels can get pretty big. They can also be little devils!:devilish: I love my two, and they never get along.

Reygan2 said:
Thanks! This is an absolutely exhilarating hobby, and believe me I have wanted to pull my hair out several times since I started fishkeeping last July. The members of this site pulled me through and helped me keep my sanity:lol:. Now I have multiple tank syndrome and I love every minute of it! I'll be sure to post pics when I stock it.
Oh yeah, angels can get pretty big. They can also be little devils!:devilish: I love my two, and they never get along.

What about cherry barbs or neon tetras? I remember those from growing up.

What about cherry barbs or neon tetras? I remember those from growing up.

I already have neons in my 29g. I did consider cherry barbs, but I'm still undecided.

I just tested and it looks like I'm good to go:dance:. Day 3 of ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates at 80! I can't add anything til this weekend so I'll dose some again tonight.
All in all it took me 20 days using seeded media. I only had to do 3 pwc's. If my ph hadn't been a factor I wouldn't have had to do those. I think it took so long because the AC20 has such a small media basket, therefore the size of the seeded pad I added was small. My guess is that it had to have time to grow quite a substantial amount of additional BB in order to handle up to 4ppm ammo in less than 24 hours.
Regardless..it was my first fishless cycle and it was a blast! Does that make me a complete nerd:D?

Thanks again Jlk, Librarygirl, mumma, and the others who helped me and so many others:flowers:.

Back
Top Bottom