Yet another Fishless Cycle problem thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Results for today (day 4 after 1st Cycle dose):

pH 7.9
Am < 2ppm
Nitrite >5 ppm
Nitrate <10 ppm
Temp 84.5

I'm done dosing the Cycle so it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Something seems off here. I'm guessing the Cycle has a substantial amount of nitrite in the bottle. If my chemistry memory is right ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all have one nitrogen atom. That should mean the conversion is 1:1:1 with no outside interference. If that's right, I'm not losing enough ammonia for my results to make sense.

The nitrites are just off the scale as of today though. Should I do a PWC to bring them to a readable level or leave it for now to feed the nitrate conversion?

Day 5 after 1st Cycle dose

pH 7.9
Ammo 1 (little darker than 1, but not 2)
Nitrite >5 (off the scale high)
Nitrate 15 (10 and 20 are too close for my eyes)
Temp 84.6

Ammo is dropping very slowly, not quite 1ppm per day. The nitrates are building, so I guess that's good.

I'm still confused by the high nitrites since I haven't had to redose ammo yet.

What does anyone think about doing a water change to bring the nitrites down to a readable level? Too soon? Does a high nitrite level slow down the bacteria growth?

xawen said:
Day 5 after 1st Cycle dose

pH 7.9
Ammo 1 (little darker than 1, but not 2)
Nitrite >5 (off the scale high)
Nitrate 15 (10 and 20 are too close for my eyes)
Temp 84.6

Ammo is dropping very slowly, not quite 1ppm per day. The nitrates are building, so I guess that's good.

I'm still confused by the high nitrites since I haven't had to redose ammo yet.

What does anyone think about doing a water change to bring the nitrites down to a readable level? Too soon? Does a high nitrite level slow down the bacteria growth?

Unfortunately, you're out of my area of expertise because of the bottled stuff, lol. I guess it causes some funky stuff to happen that doesn't normally occur in a traditional or fishless cycle. Id dose the ammo back up and let it do it's thing. I don't know if a pwc would effect it or not because I don't know if needs to be at a certain level and not diluted to continue working. So, I say dose the ammo back up, wait and see what happens, and if things seem to stall try the pwc then.

Unfortunately, you're out of my area of expertise because of the bottled stuff, lol. I guess it causes some funky stuff to happen that doesn't normally occur in a traditional or fishless cycle. Id dose the ammo back up and let it do it's thing. I don't know if a pwc would effect it or not because I don't know if needs to be at a certain level and not diluted to continue working. So, I say dose the ammo back up, wait and see what happens, and if things seem to stall try the pwc then.

Lol, that plan works for me.

I just reread your guide for a normal cycle and noticed it says wait until nitrites and nitrates are off scale before the water change. I guess as long as the ammo keeps dropping and the nitrates keep rising I'll stick to that.

xawen said:
Lol, that plan works for me.

I just reread your guide for a normal cycle and noticed it says wait until nitrites and nitrates are off scale before the water change. I guess as long as the ammo keeps dropping and the nitrates keep rising I'll stick to that.

Sounds good. This is a learning experience for me too, haha.

Day 5 (after Cycle) results:

pH 7.9
Ammo just under 1
Nitrite >5
Nitrate above 20
Temp 85

I think I'm going to do a PWC and ammo redose tonight. It's too hard to figure out what's going on without being able to read the nitrite levels. Also, I decided I really don't like the 10-30 range on the nitrate test. I can't tell them apart :confused: My eyes definitely see what they want to see, not what's there.

Well, I haven't posted any more results because there haven't been any more. Nitrite went off the scale, and everything stopped right there. Looks like the Cycle worked for about a week then died off :banghead:.

I've done several 50% water changes to replenish nutrients and tried waiting things out and still no changes at all (other than the ammonia levels after redosing).

I did find a recommendation for filters from these guys. The sell and ship sponge filters that have been seeded in their tanks for 4-6 weeks. I ordered two and they arrived today. They were shipped in a bag with a few inches of what I'm sure was tank water. Both sponges were wet all the way through when I opened them. I cut one up into half inch squares and put them in my canister filter and I hooked the other up to my airline by the instructions.

If this doesn't get me cycled, I don't know what else to do...so I'm staying optimistic :)

Current levels are:
Ammo 3
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
pH 7.9
Temp 85

xawen said:
Well, I haven't posted any more results because there haven't been any more. Nitrite went off the scale, and everything stopped right there. Looks like the Cycle worked for about a week then died off :banghead:.

I've done several 50% water changes to replenish nutrients and tried waiting things out and still no changes at all (other than the ammonia levels after redosing).

I did find a recommendation for filters from these guys. The sell and ship sponge filters that have been seeded in their tanks for 4-6 weeks. I ordered two and they arrived today. They were shipped in a bag with a few inches of what I'm sure was tank water. Both sponges were wet all the way through when I opened them. I cut one up into half inch squares and put them in my canister filter and I hooked the other up to my airline by the instructions.

If this doesn't get me cycled, I don't know what else to do...so I'm staying optimistic :)

Current levels are:
Ammo 3
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
pH 7.9
Temp 85

Make sure you keep us posted, I'm dying to hear how that sponge works. That's awesome you found a place that sells it. I'll have to re-write the guide and add that company in if it works, lol.

Actually, can you show me where it says it's seeded? I don't see it on the site, I'm probably just missing it.

eco23 said:
Actually, can you show me where it says it's seeded? I don't see it on the site, I'm probably just missing it.

Never mind, I found it...they're the "active filters".

eco23 said:

Yea... stay away from the bottled stuff. It caused bad issues for me. It may have caused my cycle to collapse. Just trust me.

Please update us on the progress with the cycled filters you found. This is awesome if it works. I read the entire website and am intrigued. Thanks for the info

Great info, thanks for the site. I'm seriously considering getting one for my tank. It's been almost 3 weeks (fishless cycling) and no movement whatsoever.

About 24 hours after adding the active filters to my tank...and no change in any levels at all :nono:. Ammo, nitrite, nitrate and pH are all where they have been since my last water change. If there were any bacteria surviving on those filters, I think they should have had at least a small impact right away.

I'll give it more time since it's still early, but this isn't encouraging. If this doesn't work, I'm flat out of ideas. This tank has been sitting here for almost 2 months and still can't process any ammonia.

About 24 hours after adding the active filters to my tank...and no change in any levels at all :nono:. Ammo, nitrite, nitrate and pH are all where they have been since my last water change. If there were any bacteria surviving on those filters, I think they should have had at least a small impact right away.

I'll give it more time since it's still early, but this isn't encouraging. If this doesn't work, I'm flat out of ideas. This tank has been sitting here for almost 2 months and still can't process any ammonia.

Sorry to hear that. I did order one of their active sponges today. If it works great, if not, no harm done I guess, although it sure is frustrating. Good luck, I hope your tank cycles soon!

libraygirl said:
Sorry to hear that. I did order one of their active sponges today. If it works great, if not, no harm done I guess, although it sure is frustrating. Good luck, I hope your tank cycles soon!

You should give it a few days. Is it a good filter or did you cut off the sponge?

Back
Top Bottom