Yipee!! Help me stock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquafriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today my fishless cycle showed 0 ammonia and nitrites. I'll give it a few days to make sure, but I'm close, if not there.

It's a planted 33 gal with an AC 300, temp at 78, PH 7.2.

I need help stocking because I can't make up my mind!! I'm thinking of maybe breaking up my 20 gal community tank and adding more of each to make proper schools. (It has 2 swords, 1 platy, 2 danios, 2 white skirt tetras, 2 serpaes, 6 neons) and maybe some new types for new interest. Plus cories for both tanks.
Or I can go with a whole new tank of fish. (Angelfish with compatible tankmates, for example) I live in a small town and am a little limited on selection. I will be ordering my fish from the LFS because I can't guarantee they'll have what I want all at once.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe some new ideas, pros and cons, and stocking levels, will help me make up my mind. :wink:

(It has 2 swords, 1 platy, 2 danios, 2 white skirt tetras, 2 serpaes, 6 neons)
The danios, skirted tetras and serpaes would probably like some friends.

Look into rainbow fish-- www.liveaquaria.com I have seen them in the Calgary LFS. They look dull in the store, but color up at home.

I'll see what others throw in and come back with stocking numbers :D

Yes, I'd really like to add to the numbers. I bought them as my first fish and didn't understand schooling.
I had thought about leaving the livebearers and neons in the 20gal, and moving the rest of the tetras and the danios into the 33gal, then adding to all of them, plus some new ones. I'll check out the rainbow fish, and see if I can get them at my LFS.
And I'll appreciate the stocking numbers, since I don't want to overstock. :)

Thanks, Menagerie, but it looks like I'm on my own. :?:

When my tank is ready to stock, I'll just head to the LFS, see what's available to order, then decide what to go with.

So this is probably what I'll end up with:

33gal-
danios
serpaes
white skirt tetras
something new?(cherry barb, harlequin rasbora, black phantom tetra, eg)
cories eventually(I've heard you should not put cories in a newly cycled tank, wait a month)

20gal-
swordtails
platies
neons
cories

I may not be able to add something new to the 33gal, since making schools of the rest may max the tank. I just don't know, but since I already have two of each of these fish, I need to add to their schools first.

Plus, to throw a kink in it, I do have a 10gal with 4 cories and a betta. I could put the neons in there, the cories in the 20gal, and be able to re-arrange better so an angel could go in the 33gal with maybe the livebearers, leaving the serpaes, etc in the 20gal.
Confused yet???? Maybe I'd better just stick with what I have.

I just need numbers so I don't overstock.

Sorry to go on and on. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom