Yo-Yo Loach Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I just learned something interesting recently.

I have read in the past many times that yo-yo loaches do better in groups of 3 or more, but my LFS only had 2 when I bought them, so I only had two for several months. They got along with all the other fish just fine and I loved having them in my aquarium. I noticed however, that the larger one spent a lot of time chasing the smaller one around and around. Put food in the tank, and the larger one would chase and chase around and around for long periods of time! Also, every once in a while, inexplicably, they would both turn almost completely white, their normal black stripes would turn a light silver, and they would 'wrestle' for a while. I thought all of this above behavior was odd, but they weren't hurting each other or anyone else, so I left it alone.

Then one day, I was at another LFS, and here is a lone yo-yo loach in a tank full of glassfish. I snagged him up, QT for 3 weeks, and then put him in the 38. What a difference! Now, I routinely see them all 3 within inches of each other, searching the gravel together. They swim around together, and even though there are occasional scuffles between them at feeding time, there is no more chasing around and around the tank. There has also been no more of the strange loss of color and 'wrestling.' They now all seem to be great friends! I'm not sure what the deal is, but I definitely agree 3+ is the way to go with these guys.

Not sure what my point is, just thought it an interesting observation, and thought I'd share it. :)

Paul

I have two large ones, it was all the shop had availible at the time or I would have got three. They did the wrestling thing for the first few weeks, but no longer do it (that I see). They do chase each other around quite a bit..

I really want another one (or two), but lately I have only seen small YoYos in tanks of sickly looking fish, and I have no QT. I am currently using my 10g tank as a grow out tank for the Clown Pleco, or I would try QTing some YoYos in there. None of the fish in the 10g are particularly exciting, but the Clown Pleco is the bizzomb and can not be risked :)

Yoyos are apparently somewhat tricky (maybe they don't ship well?) and a lot of LFS no longer carry them for that reason. I guess if you see some healthy ones snatch them up, as they are a great little loach that doesn't achieve monster proportions.

I always heard they did better in groups of three or more, but from what you describe that is really proof positive!

I've had a yo-yo for over a month now, with great colours and health. I guess it's true that you do have to snap them up when available, because I was at the LFS the other day and there wasn't one to be found. Mine voraciously digs in my aquatic plant soil substrate, just as lively as my 7 clown loaches. Like others have mentioned, I will get a few more when available for sure. But in about 12 hours I'll be starting with Discus, so that'll be my big focus for the next little bit! Excited about that!

hmm i think we might have to get another.we have 2, and the 2nd one we bought to replace one who sadly died ( poor thing swam into the filter outlet before we learnt our hard lesson & covered it with mesh), has grown bigger than our no1 & chases mr smaller around whenever he strays too near..they dont do the changing colour fighting thing anymore & do sometimes swim together & loaf around together but you can definitely tell whose 'king' of the loaches. theyve both been in the tank for about 8 months now & are about 2.5 & 3 inches big. brilliant fish.thanks for the info it gives us an excuse to get another :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom