Your thoughts and ideas --- 40 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjPotter79

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going out sometime this month and picking up a 40 gallon long aquarium. I'm going to cycle it for a few months until it gets warmer out. Anyway this is my stocking list and I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Here we go...
2 or 3 long fin albino plecos
6 Cory's not sure what kind yet though
6 or 8 white skirt tetras
Guppies... Show quality ones
2 dwarf gourami
And if I have room I would like to get some
Dwarf crayfish
Crystal red shrimp
Snails and maybe a dwarf frog
I would love to hear from everyone... Thanks

Sounds cool to me... What kind of Gourami where you think. My personal favorites are the powder blues.

I would just be careful with the dwarf frog if you do go down that road. They are really passive and might get picked on by the crayfish... They also dont do well in deeper tanks since they arent the strongest swimmers.

Talvari said:
Sounds cool to me... What kind of Gourami where you think. My personal favorites are the powder blues.

I would just be careful with the dwarf frog if you do go down that road. They are really passive and might get picked on by the crayfish... They also dont do well in deeper tanks since they arent the strongest swimmers.

Thanks man... I really like the powder blues too or a neon but I'm really new at this so basically whatever the people on this awesome forum suggest is cool with me. I just want a nice peaceful community where no fish are stressed out and get along. As the dwarf frog goes i wasn't sold on that anyway it was just a thought so if the little guy might get picked on I rather not get him.

DjPotter79 said:
I am going out sometime this month and picking up a 40 gallon long aquarium. I'm going to cycle it for a few months until it gets warmer out. Anyway this is my stocking list and I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Here we go...
2 dwarf gourami
Dwarf crayfish
Crystal red shrimp

Youll only need 1 plec. If youd lile to get 2, do so, but youll have to supplement their food with algea pellets. I wouldnt get 3. Also, i wpuldnt get multiple gouramis. They can get agressive

Gboy66 said:
Youll only need 1 plec. If youd lile to get 2, do so, but youll have to supplement their food with algea pellets. I wouldnt get 3. Also, i wpuldnt get multiple gouramis. They can get agressive

Thanks bro... The only reason I would like to get 3 plecos because they are my favorite and I would like to try breeding them some time down the road and i will stick to only getting 1 gouramis. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I'm not so sure if the dwarf Cray and Corys are a good idea either... You may run into some trouble with the Cray attacking them

DjPotter79 said:
Thanks bro... The only reason I would like to get 3 plecos because they are my favorite and I would like to try breeding them some time down the road and i will stick to only getting 1 gouramis. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Ah trying to breed eh? Sounds cool! But youll need a separate tank for the fry

Fishkeeper26 said:
I'm not so sure if the dwarf Cray and Corys are a good idea either... You may run into some trouble with the Cray attacking them

IMO if you're talking CPOs I'd be more worried about them. They're tiny. Just what I've heard.

Fishkeeper26 said:

Well I would rather have the Cory's then the crayfish so I'll scratch them out but how about the shrimp would they be compatible with them.

Gboy66 said:
Ah trying to breed eh? Sounds cool! But youll need a separate tank for the fry

Oh for sure. I was thinking about getting one of them netted breeding things they usually use for guppies. Would that be okay .

DjPotter79 said:
Here we go...
2 dwarf gourami
Dwarf crayfish
Crystal red shrimp

I love bristlenoses too. IMO 3 is fine in a 40g as long as they have plenty of caves and hiding spots to get away from each other.
I like peppered cories. :)
I would get 8 white skirts. They can get quite nippy if in schools too small.
When you get guppies you can have all males or a ratio of M 1:2-3 F. If your wanting them to breed I'd just start with a trio. Before you know it your tank will be over run.
Just get one dwarf gourami. One will be more dominate and will bully the other (maybe even to death).
I wouldn't get the cray or the dwarf frog. Neither are very suitable for a community tank.
Mystery snails are my pick when it comes to snails. :)
And yes, you can add the shrimp. They don't add very much to the bioload at all.

Just keep in mind that bristlenoses have razor sharp top fins.

I love bristlenoses too. IMO 3 is fine in a 40g as long as they have plenty of caves and hiding spots to get away from each other.
I like peppered cories. :)
I would get 8 white skirts. They can get quite nippy if in schools too small.
When you get guppies you can have all males or a ratio of M 1:2-3 F. If your wanting them to breed I'd just start with a trio. Before you know it your tank will be over run.
Just get one dwarf gourami. One will be more dominate and will bully the other (maybe even to death).
I wouldn't get the cray or the dwarf frog. Neither are very suitable for a community tank.
Mystery snails are my pick when it comes to snails. :)
And yes, you can add the shrimp. They don't add very much to the bioload at all.
Thank you so much Mumma for replying. I dont write on here alot but im alway reading and everything that I read you always have a comment and I always like what you have to say and from reading about your tanks that you have we pretty much like the same stuff. Keep up the good work and once again thank you so much I really have bee learning alot from you.

DjPotter79 said:
Thank you so much Mumma for replying. I dont write on here alot but im alway reading and everything that I read you always have a comment and I always like what you have to say and from reading about your tanks that you have we pretty much like the same stuff. Keep up the good work and once again thank you so much I really have bee learning alot from you.

Your welcome. Glad to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom