zebra danio missing an eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i notice this last night...one of my female zebra danios is missing one of her eyes. i don't know if its been like this since i got her or if it just happened. but is there anything i can do? she doesnt seem to be suffereing. but she just kind of swims back and forth. she'll swim like 4 inches and turn around and swim another 4 inches, back and forth. when she sees another fish with the one she has left she'll chase them but then go back to swimming back and forth.

thanks for the help.

she's eating, but acting the same way, swims back and forth along the front of the tank. and the only way she eats is if a flake falls in front of her.

i know i cant replace her eye lol, but is there anything i need to do for her?
common guys i know theres lots of experts on here lol, need some advice.

Can you tell...does it look like she lost the eye due to an infection? (Is the eye socket area all inflamed, or fuzzy white like there is fungus or something there)? Or is the eye gone but the socket looks healthy? (Which would imply the fish lost the eye due to a physical injury.)

If she recently lost the eye then the swimming back & forth could be due to her just being disoriented and adjusting to life with one eye. Assuming she is otherwise healthy and an infection was not the cause of losing the eye in the first place, then eventually she should adapt to one-eyed vision and get back to behavior like normal. Though that might take several weeks.

If the eye was lost due to an infection (pop-eye) then you would need to try to figure out the cause of the infection and treat it appropriately.

the socket looks healthy, no inflamation or fuzzies. I guess i have a healthy one-eyed fish now. just have to figure out how to make sure she eats. i feed tetracolor crisps and blood worms to the fish in this tank. she only eats if what ever i feed falls directly in front of her.

thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom