Zebra Snail Above The Water Line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought a new snail yesterday. It was at the bottom of the tank the entire yesterday. Woke up today to find it half an inch above the water line. Is this normal? My water might be a little too warm for it...it's @ 80 degrees right now without the heater. I've also read that Zebra snails like to climb out of the tanks.

Can it actually live out of the water?

Forgot to mention...the snail is in a 30gal tank that has been running for years. It has a few medium sized tiger barbs, a few small serpae tetras and 5 panda corys. I didn't see any of the fish picking on it when it was on the gravel yesterday.

I'm not certain but some snails will lay eggs above the water line. Also, snails hanging out at the top of the tank is usually good sign your water parameters are poor. Mine will occasionally hang out at the top but never too long out of the water.

I don't think the water parameters are poor...always do a 40% water change every 10 days...never miss a water change...regularly check my parameters(ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph). I do think my water is a bit too warm...every where I read, it says zebra snails like mid 70's temps. and that they can slowly cook in temps. of 82+

Well I've only had it since yesterday, so I hope it doesn't stay out of the water too long.

OK, looks like it's slowly getting back into the water. I noticed I have some dried up algae above the water line and the Zebra snail is an algae lover...so maybe that was the reason for it climbing up there.

"Zebra snail"? Got a species name or a description? There are a few sold as "zebras". I think you're likely fine though. We have several different types that tend towards the top of the tank especially over the waterline. I think (no proof, just observation) that they are possibly feeding on whatever is sedimented onto the glass as the result of evaporation.

Yeah, most of my snails spend their days going up and down, up and down, and up and down.

in fact a few went up and over and down, never to be seen again.

Cool. I stick with my "you're fine" statement. :)

zebras tend to stick under the water line but they are a tidal snail. i wouldnt worry about it.

I'm not certain but some snails will lay eggs above the water line.
nerites tend to lay their eggs on plants wood or glass under water.

Back
Top Bottom