Ziggs 30 Gallon Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm waiting for my plants to grow a little more, and to see if the Beneficial bacteria from safestart will move it down. if that fails i will do a complete blackout, see if that works out.

Minor Update, I've been noticing some minor plant Growth, either that or im going crazy. I've also noticed what i think is either dead pieces of the Riccia on some of the plants, or some small pieces of hairline algae. they arent spreading much, and are mostly confined to the Amazon sword, and and the microswords. the Hornwort mostly melted, but a few good pieces remained, i ripped off the bad parts and threw most of it away, except for the floating pieces. Also i noticed this morning that the green water Algae seemed to clear up a bit overnight, likely due to the lack of light.

I've been doing water tests, Ammonia at .50 ppm, nitrates/nitrites at 0 for the past 2 days. the Tetra Safe-start dosnt seem to be kicking in yet. Anybody have an idea as to why? or do i have to wait.

I would say you will probably have to wait. I looked at the label on a picture from the net and laughed. It says it contains "live bacteria", that is an enourmous lie. Most of these "bacteria in a bottle" products don't do half of what they promise.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've heard good reviews about the Tetra one though, but i have a feeling i need more ammonia to kickstart the bacteria. But if it really is just a waste, then well, thats a lesson learned.

You may be right. I am just stating what I have heard from various fish forums. There can be no live bacteria in the bottle, period. As you know the bacteria feed on ammonia and nitrite and there is no way they (bacteria) could live in these bottled products.

Dont know if you saw my post in the other forum, but i got 4 fish today. Siamease Algae Eater died within 5 minutes of introducing him, i've been looking into it, and seen on the net that they are very sensetive to large changes, and the shock might of killed it. my Ammonia is at 0.5, nirties and nitrates at 0. my 3 Guppies are swimming at the top, although they go down to mid level occasionally then dart back up to the top. I fear that there isnt alot of photosynthesis with the plants, cause i only have a 20 Watt light bilb, even though i've noticed some large plant growth on a few of the plants.

Sad...why did you add fish when you still had ammonia readings? It is basically a death sentence. You will need to do water changes every other day to keep the ammonia down. Your guppies hanging at the top...are they gasping for air? Sounds like ammonia poisoning.

Honestly though my readings were a bit off, and the Bacteria in a bottle didn't seem to work, the Ammonia readings are a straight .50 ppm. I might try buying some minor amounts of salt to help keep the Guppies alive and protect them. Dont see much other options, this is definitely a lesson learned. One of the problems i might have is that most of the plants arent growing fast enough to suck up the Ammonia, I'm going to upgrade to a 48 Watt System to kickstart the plants once my next paycheck comes in.

Until then, any other advice to keep my Guppies as healthy as can be? I've got the powerhead at a level to cause surface agitation to oxygenate the tank, i might raise it during the day to keep CO2 for the plants.

Just do like I said, about 30% PWC's every other day in order to keep the ammonia low. Glad you learned, plants are nice and everything, but sometimes patinence is a virtue.
The only problem with higher ligting is the higher likelyhood of algae blooms.
It sounds like you are doing pretty good with providing surface agitation to keep the water well oxygenated.
Salt won't do much to keep the guppies from suffering from ammonia poisoning, but they do appreciate it. Salt does help with nitrite poisoning, but noly to a certain extent.

Like I said, just keep up the PWC's. Ammonia readings and fancy guppies is a recipe for disaster. They are very suceptible to fin rot so keeping top water quality and a bit of salt is paramount. Keep us updated on the situation!

Changed 15% water again this morning, it seemed to do wonders. The Guppies started darting around and exploring the tank, rather than sticking to the top. They seem to be socializing well, and are starting to swim at all levels. I Notice them scavenging for left over food. They seem content now, though im still going to get them some Aquarium salt later.

I'll probably only be able to change at most 15% of the water at a time, I'm using a mixture of Well Water and Tap water in the tank. The Tap water takes 2 days for the Ph to go down, and the well water is pretty soft, i've noticed that the PH climbs up after a day.

+1 Mogurako, you don't have to add salt, especially since they guppies are going to be in the tank while it is cycling. I would do a PWC every day if you are going to be doing 15%, but you will have to keep a close eye on the ammonia and change the size/frequency of the changes accordingly.

I don't think there is any reason to suggest that .5ppm ammonia is a death sentence when the ph is 7.4... IF those are accurate readings. There's still other issues at hand I think though.

roundar said:
I don't think there is any reason to suggest that .5ppm ammonia is a death sentence when the ph is 7.4... IF those are accurate readings. There's still other issues at hand I think though.

While .5 isn't an automatic death sentence it is double the amount that is commonly known to be tolerable amount of ammo. From what I understand anything over .25 starts to become pretty dangerous to fish.

While .5 isn't an automatic death sentence it is double the amount that is commonly known to be tolerable amount of ammo. From what I understand anything over .25 starts to become pretty dangerous to fish.

And that is true at a high PH. Ammonia does lose its toxicity at lower PH. At a PH of ~8.2 even .25ppm ammonia is toxic, but OP's was much lower. Just so it's clear, I don't think it's a good idea to have your ammonia levels at .5 or at any readable level, but there is no science to back up that it's a death sentence.

PH is at around 7.4, and has been every single time i test the tank water. Ammonia is reading between 0 and .25 (leaning toward the .25) and Nitrites are at 0. The Green water algae seems to have gotten just a bit thicker, but i can still clearly see everything in the water. The Guppies are swimming at all levels of the tank, they seem happy now.

Glad to hear you got the levels lower and you now have some happier fish.

Granted, it isn't a death sentence, it will just take a lot of work to keep the fish happy until the tank is cycled.

Yea it will be a bit of work for now, need to improve the plant situation though with more light. Also, whats the best way to position a powerhead? i have an Aquaclear 30, and although its on the lowest setting, the flow is alot. Granted, the Guppies seem to be handling it for now, but when i get schooling fish, i dont want them thrown around the tank. Right now its pointing from the corner across the long edge of the tank. I'm considering hitting it across the short ends to cause more evne flow. any suggestions from anybody?

Picture time!

27050719338204284771331.jpg

Front view of the tank, Water was Green at the time but for some reason shows up brown.

26743219338207884861331.jpg

Close up of the right side

27056219338210284921331.jpg

Picture taken after the guppies were added a few days ago, all 3 are visible. The Orange one is very calm, while the one in the middle is always exploring around the tank, and throwing itself in the current and being blown around the tank. The one behind the thermometer i think is either gay or a huge bully.

As for an update, they have been acting pretty normal. Although they are skimming the top tonight, as Ammonia started hitting .5 ppm again. Going to try for a 30% water change tommrow. I'm also seeing alot of bubbles on the edge of the tank, what could this be?

Back
Top Bottom