Ziggs 30 Gallon Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welp, alot to update. 2 Harlequin Rasboras contracted some weird Fungus and both died about 2 weeks ago. All Parameters were at 0 and PH is still at 7.4. Likely got something in the water, but i added extra doses of salt to kill whatever it was. A Few days ago i bought 3 more Harlequins, another guppy, and a Blue Ram. The Blue Ram died while i was acclimating it in the bag, the Guppy died yesterday randomly, and one of the new Harlequins bit it this morning.

Also there has been a huge bug infestation in the tank, i've identified them as small dragon flies, and they've been hiding out inside my castle. I took out my Castle a few hours ago and found a huge amount of bugs inside of it, including a juvenile dragonfly flying inside the top of the tank. My Guppies proceeded to tear into the smaller bugs that were still alive, and the Amano shrimp i think are also talking a liking to eating them now. I've gotten myself a nice pierce of driftwood, which i will be adding after i vaccum out the tank tommorow.

Hi. I just found your thread and it seems like we are attempting the same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Here is a pic of my tank. I only rescaped it yesterday.

View attachment 48446

My tank has been up for about a month and it is already 'fully stocked' with all the fish I wanted. I am running a canister with a uv filter and I am yet to see any algae. Haven't lost any fish either (knock on wood). I have been testing my tank constantly and I havent seen any ammonia spikes. The plants are using it all. My filter is uncycled. Just wanting to let you know it is possible and to hang in there!

Last edited:
Nice looking tank you have there. I didn't have any Fish Deaths until a month and a half after my tank was stocked with the original 3 Guppies. I've been dosing my tank with alot of medication to kill off anything that could be killing my fish. Hope you fare much better than I am in regards to fish Healthyness.

Ziggs180 said:
Nice looking tank you have there. I didn't have any Fish Deaths until a month and a half after my tank was stocked with the original 3 Guppies. I've been dosing my tank with alot of medication to kill off anything that could be killing my fish. Hope you fare much better than I am in regards to fish Healthyness.

Thanks. It sucks about your fish getting sick.

Would like to get pictures, but it seems the Driftwood wasnt treated enough. The Water is tea colored now, filled to the brim with Tannins. I might buy a small filter now and put some Carbon in it to get rid of all the Tannins.

I have two carbon filters running in the Aquaclear 3000, managed to clear up the water in a few days. Yesterday i went to a LFS 40 minutes away and purchased two German Blue Rams and another Guppy. So far the three are doing pretty well in the tank, i hope my Rams dont suffer from sudden death syndrome like many on this board have experienced. I plan on purchasing a Dwarf Gourami in the future and possibly 3 Cory cats. At that point, that will probably be the full stock of the tank.

I feel like a bit of a psychopath, but my Blue rams are pretty awesome. It seems my tank has been developing an insect and worm problem, and these blue rams are taking care of it. I occasionally see worms floating in the aquarium, and the blue rams just chow down on them. Just now i saw a small Dragonfly Nymph. The Blue rams proceeded to play tug of war with it, ripping it apart. I also believe these two are lesbians, they both spawned eggs together in one corner of the tank and are chasing off any fish that approach the clutch of eggs.

I'm having a bit of an issue with feeding them food though, since they are going to run out of live food (worms/bugs) evetually. The Harlequins and Guppies eat up any flakes i put in the tank before it can hit the bottom where the Rams hang out. Any tips on how to feed them?

dsc03717yj.jpg

Heres my tank as of today. I've added several plants since then, and done some Reorganization of the tank. I've also added a larger piece of Driftwood and stacked both pieces together, forming a rather large cavern that one of my Blue Rams has taken as his Territory.

Heres my Stock list so far

1 Guppy (little guy has been in the tank since the beginning)
10 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Amano Shrimp
2 Blue Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Platies
1 Albino Bristlenose pleco

Back
Top Bottom