Zinny's 20g long build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinthos26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! After a big move from MA to NC I am finally ready to set up my tank again =] So far I have cleaned up my tank and got an amazing deal on a stand. This build might go a little slow because I am trying to not spend all my money at once. The next step is substrate but first let me tell you guys my plan.

I've been wanting shrimp since I first started this hobby 2 years ago. So my plan is to turn this tank into a low-tech planted shrimp tank. I know most people use a smaller tank for shrimp but I would much rather have just one tank so that I have the time to properly take care of it.

Stock:
-10+ red cherry shrimp
-2 ottos
-8 ember tetras
-1 dwarf gourami
I was originally thinking rummynose tetras but then I saw some ember tetras at my lfs and fell in love with them. Should I do a larger school or do you guys think this tank might be big enough for two schools so I can still have the rummynose? Also I'm not dead set on the gourami because I'm worried it might eat the shrimp?

Equipment:
I have a tetra whisper hob filter for 20 gallons although I use my own mechanical and bio media. Going to put a sponge filter over the intake for the little shrimp.
I also bought a backup air pump for when the power goes out.
My lighting is two desk lamps with bulbs made for growing plants and they have done really well in the past. I just don't have the money right now to buy anything fancier.
I still need to buy a heater and I am also going to lowe's today to try to build my own python

Plants:
This is going to be low tech (no CO2) and I don't have as much experience with plants so this is where I could really use some help. I have seachem flourish right now should I get some others? Definitely getting java fern and java moss but would love to hear some other ideas. Also kind of interested in floating plants and not sure if I'm up for doing a carpet.

So my next step is substrate and this is where I am having the biggest dilemma. Since I'm going to be using mostly hardy plants should I just go with gravel and maybe some root tabs? Should I try dirted for the first time or maybe spend the money on the fluval for shrimp?

With my old tanks I would always vacuum the gravel thoroughly but with baby shrimp and plants I'm assuming I won't be able to do that anymore. How do you guys keep the tank clean from fish poop? I apologize if that's a stupid question :confused:

That's all I can think of right now. I hope that wasn't an overload of questions. I appreciate any help I can get. Here's a picture of my set-up so far =]

12887445_10154748700531808_1142939137_o.jpg

I doubt that I'll be of much help, but will tell you anyway what I've done in the past. Firstly, I'll say that I used to have 2 dwarf gourami in a small (29g) community tank with both cherry and ghost shrimp, and the gourami didn't bother the shrimp at all. Secondly, when I did a gravel vacuum, I rubber banded a small piece if plastic window screening over the end of the vacuum to prevent any baby shrimp from being sucked up. The downside is that I could only suction pieces of solid waste that were small enough to fit through the screen. But since you plan a planted tank, the plants should help dispose of much solid waste.

The embers and gourami will ignore the adult shrimp but will eat the babies. Heavy plant cover and a large breeding population will help offset this. Shrimp larvae tend to be oblivious to what's around then IME.
Low light will limit your choices for a carpet. You could do a moss carpet. Moss can be secured to 2x2 or 4x4 squares of stainless steel mesh using fishing line.
Generally in planted tanks vacuuming does not occur unless there are obvious open areas. Care will needed to avoid sucking up shrimp fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey! Where in NC are you? Fellow North Carolinian here :)

I agree with what's been said above. IMO if I were you I'd lose the gourami and up the school of ember tetras 10-12. Gourami will mean you're risking losing adult shrimp and a possible bully. The tetras like larger schools anyway.
For a heater, Aqueon adjustable ones are nice and cheap. Look online, cheaper there anyway.
Any way, welcome back!

I live in Asheville!
Thank you everyone for the advice so far! I am thinking I will increase the school of embers and hold off on the gourami. I'll wait until the tank is established and plenty of plant cover to see if I still want one or willing to risk it.
I'm still stuck on what kind of substrate to get. Any suggestions?

Crypts, Anubias, and Echinodorus sp. are good low tech plants. Anubias grows slowly and can be attached to driftwood. Crypts and swords are colorful plants that are heavy root feeders. If you are willing to spend some money, Eco-complete is always a good option in my opinion. You could just try small grained gravel and supplement with roots tabs as an alternative. Eventually, you'll have to supply root tabs for heavy root feeders with Eco-complete. Black substrate is the way to go for plant contrast nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the suggestions of cryptocorynes and anubias plants -- both are gorgeous and easy to take care of. (The main Flourish fertilizer and Flourish Excel should be enough.) I'm not so sure it's necessary to forget the Dwarf Gourami; the tetras will see newly hatched shrimp as food, too. Better to have some Java moss they could hide in. :hide:

I do like the idea of a larger school of Embers, though. I have a similar tank to which I'm thinking of adding 9-11 Neons. I bet a like school of Embers would be really pretty. (y)

And congratulations on the move to Asheville! I have friends in Charlotte who tell me it's very nice up there. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460980548.567447.jpg

Here's my setup. I went with gravel and although I ordered a dark deep river gravel it looks a lot more like natural color in person =[ but it's too late to change that now. I've filled it and it's now my betta's new temporary home. My next step is going to be getting all the plants and then after that the tetras. I want to give the plants some time to grow before I add the shrimp.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom