Zoanthids vs T8 Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I heard that since zoas don't need that much light, they do fine under t8 lighting. I use 1 24'' Hagen Marine Glo 20w light and 1 24'' Hagen Power Glo 20w.

I plan to buy powercompacts lights in a close future, but do you think I can start having zoas right now?

just from what i have experienced i would stay away from pc lighting i just switched to t5s and have found them to be much better and cheaper to replace the bulbs as well.

I would say you can keep them but you won't have the color you would with a t5 with varying colored bulbs. But they should live. Also the pc lights aren't bad and zoas can look good under them.

Some zoas are higher light than others. Some of them won't grow at all under insufficient light. Others will live, but not be brilliant. Zoanthids are found in shallow waters, where there is plenty of light.

kenya's are a bit of a nuisance arent they? from what i read they grow like weeds and can take over a display.

either way i woudl go for T5s ove power compacts, more light and less wattage and the lamps are cheaper, all in all a better package

Yep. Kenya tree is a nuisance IMO. I don't see it getting out of hand under insufficient lighting though. That p0iuece that's in the sump has been the same size for a year...lol.

but it atleast hasn't died :p is that in the gyms tank?

kenyas may be a great way of makign money though, sellign frags to your LFS even at 10 bucks a pop is still a decent income for little to no work

Back
Top Bottom