Zoanthids...Whose got em.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, zoanthids appear to be my newest obsession, so show me your zos!!

Here are some of mine ;)

DSCN5214.jpg

DSCN5212.jpg

zo.jpg

I've got another colony, but I'll have to snap a pick tomorrow ;)

Alright RR... those may be "ok" but check out MY huge colony.

Feel free to start asking all the questions of how I grew so many, everyone, and I'll try to help you out a little with my vast knowledge of these things.

Um......, there's a small one behind it that you can't see so technically its a colony

Um that was sposed to be a joke. My sense of humor seems funny to me but sometime looks stupid when I read it later.

I just learned about these things the other day and got a free couple of them. :D

RR those are awesome by the way

8O

I have been feeding mine, I think, and I think it eats like an anemone?

I just target feed it cyclop eeze when I feed my anemones and it closes up.. am I scaring it or is it eating?

Um that was sposed to be a joke. My sense of humor seems funny to me but sometime looks stupid when I read it later.

I thought it was funny, but couldn't think of a response that wasn't degrading to your Zos. I have a dwindling colony (star polyps are killing them) that started with 4 polyps. Before the GSP started encroaching...it was over 100 polyps in the colony. They will grow ;)

Snapcrackler... a little zoo-envy? :wink:

Don't worry. One day your zoos will grow up into a big and strong colony, just like reefrunner's...

They are all beautiful! I'd love to try a SW tank to have all the beautiful corals y'all have... but I'm already in trouble most of the time for the money I spend on my little FW tank!

Phew! hehe...

Well I will tell ya, I saw those little lone things growing in the sand at LFS and I asked if I could buy them so I could see if I could grow them, and he just gave them to me for free. So that's my free, three day old colony.

I am lookin forward to seeing them spread around. I do not have GSP's yet :)

A hundred of them would be awesome...

snapcrackler said:
I have been feeding mine, I think, and I think it eats like an anemone?

I just target feed it cyclop eeze when I feed my anemones and it closes up.. am I scaring it or is it eating?

It's eating. What you have are probably palythoa. That's my guess anyway...they're usually the ones that close up on food. I started with about 5 palythoa poylps and probably have 75-80 now. They are taking over the tank! I think I'm going to frag the rock they started on soon.

Also, I want to warn everyone about the dangers of palytoxin. Many of our beautiful little zoos contain this deadly toxin. Be very careful not to ever cut or mash one of them out of the water. If you handle them in any way, wash your hands before doing anything else. It's actually best to wear latex gloves when handling them...even if you're just moving a few rocks around. Definitely DO NOT touch them if you have any open cuts on your hands...ever. If you have handled them, and inadvertently rub your eyes or lips, or if you are squirted in the mouth or eyes while handling them and start to have any of the following symptoms, get to a medical facility immediately. Be prepared to tell them that you suspect palytoxin poisoning...many hospitals would never think of that because they never see it. Numbness in your mouth or loss of taste, blurred vision, shortness of breath or tight feeling in your chest or throat. Palytoxin can kill you so it pays to be extra careful. It is one of the deadliest natural toxins. I don't want to discourage anyone from keeping these beautiful creatures...I have two tanks full of them...I just want you to be aware that they can be dangerous.

What species of zoo do you think would look best in my pond? My goldfish and channel cats would really love some new color.

Wow Logan that info on Palytoxin is very very interesting, I remember RR talkin about the neurotoxins contained within as well - sounds like some powerful stuffs.

I coulda SWORE my chest felt tight the other night after I moved them from the substrate (where the crabs were tipping them over every 5 minutes) into the top of the sponge as you see it in the pic. I really squished it in there by grasping the base of it and sliding it down, so it would not get knocked out by crabs. I woke up 3-4 in the morning and I kept waking up taking little teeny breaths for a little bit (you know that feeling where you feel like you can't take a full breath) but I fell back asleep eventually and felt fine in the morning

Coincidence?? perhaps.... but I think I will just sorta not squish them around anymore.

Wow! 8)

Here's my original colony. Not very exciting when Reefrunner starts the thread with some of the most colorful ones I have ever seen. It started with about 20 zoos and 5 yellow polyps. I now had around 50 zoos and 20 yellow polyps. I feed them Kent ZooPlex with a syringe every other day, and I feed my fish "mush" daily that should give the zoos something. The really started taking off when I started using the syringe. Every couple days I see a new colony form.

zoos_20031027.jpg

Coincidence? Most likely since you're still alive to type this post 8O :mrgreen: . Seriously, getting poisoned by palytoxin isn't a common occurence. It can get in through your eyes, mouth, or an open cut or sore. I usually use (when I don't forget) the latex gloves like doctors use. You can get them cheap at the drugstore...use a pair and toss them. Here's an example of how you can get poisoned by palytoxin. This happened to Anthony Calfo who wrote "The Book of Coral Propagation". He was fragging some poylps and used a towel to dry his hands after cutting the poylps. He later forgot about the towel and used it to wipe his face. His mouth was numb for a couple of days. I just want everyone to be aware that there is danger. It's kind of like using a table saw...if you know it will cut off your fingers and you take the proper precautions, it's not so dangerous.

ok so I guess i have o post a pic of my colony... I ordered it from liveaquaria.com a while back and it took them almost 2 weeks to even open up.. Liveaquaria.com ended up refunding the money.. about a week or so later they started opening up.. So here they are...

James

I hear that, loganj..I am glad to be here, upright and sucking air.

The blue centered ones are my faves.

I must say it is even cooler to keep and raise them, now that I am learning about their secrets!

And to think I thought they were mushrooms when I first saw them.. :roll:

hehe!!

Sure, yer welcome to a frag of them but let me grow them a little bit first.

Hmmm I think to start, I will just lick it real good and stick it over heeere...

ack! pppht *bonk*

Back
Top Bottom