10g too small for cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducas005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a spare 10g tank (originally I used it as a quarantine tank). I was thinking of making it a cichlid tank with some plants, one or two small but brightly colored cichlids. However the local Super Pets girl said cichlids are too aggressive to be in a 10 tank.

Can someone please advise? I like colors and "movement" in my fish, and cichlids seemed really good. I was gonna keep3-4 fish in the 10g, or maybe a bigger fish but then just 1-2. Is is possible?

Water changes will be weekly, and the tank will be planted/heater/aqua clear mini filter (no biowheel with those).

Maybe 2 smaller cichlids, but a larger tank is always better. Just make sure they are not overly agressive cichlids.

Yes for very small cichlids (about four), but they will start within a month they will start to become aggressive. Towards eachother. I would get a larger tank for them before they begin to get larger!

Whenever this topic comes up I always remind folks of the 'dwarf' cichlids. Many members of Apistogramma, Microgeophagus (like Rams), and Nannacara will do quite nicely in a 10 gallon tank as long as you only keep a pair. The above are all South American fish. Pelvicachromis (like the 'kribensis') and Nannacara are African riverine species that stay reasonably small. A pair of any of them will thrive and breed in a 10 gallon tank. Though I have no experience with them, I understand that a number of species of the African Rift Lake 'shell-dwellers' also stay reasonably small.

The only problem you have with keeping these fish in a 10 gallon tank is the difficulty in finding a 'compatible' pair. In a larger tank you could just put in 5 or 6 fish and wait until they began to pair off. With a 10 gal tank you don't really have this option so you have to hope that you get a good pair right off the bat.

I think Rams are tricky to sex, males and females have the same color pattern. Most 'American' chichlids are like that.

You could keep some Rams but they might feel crowded, lots of the Apistogramma species will squeeze in. The problem with a 10 is that most cichlids will be happiest in pairs or trios, and they also like to have their own space in the tank. There just isn't that much real estate for 2 or 3 3"-3.5" fish. I think if you choose a fish that is under 2"-2.5" max size you will be ok. You might even be able to do some Lamprologus ocellatus if you are prepared to immediately pull any fish that are relegated to the top corners of the tank. Those are really pretty fish that have some really funny behavior.

Multies are the smallest known cichlids, males barely get over an inch.

she is right they will get very very aggressive in a small tank
even in a 30g tank they will be some what still aggressive
:|

sexing rams i have found to be simple. i have a male and a female; the female has a pink spot (looks like she's blushing) under her stomach.. it's fairly easy to see. also, she's smaller than the male.

I have to respectfully disagree with those who mention that Rams get particularly quarrelsome in a 10 gallon tank. I've bred Rams MANY times in 5 gallon tanks without undue problems. Of course...personal experiences differ but for myself I wouldn't hesitate to put a breeding pair of Rams in a 10 gal.

Thankx all for the suggestions. I was aways for some days last week (detroit auto show, press reporter) but I was thinking of going with the smaller suggestions mentioned. I still dont know what are shell dwellers though , are they snails or smaller fish. Google search shows small fish with winglike fins.

The 'shell-dwellers' that folks are referring to are relatively small African Rift Lake cichlids that prefer to live around (and breed in) the shells of large snails. They inhabit the shallow coastlines of Lake Tanganyika in hard, alkaline water. Members of this group include species in the genera Lamprologus, Neolamprologus, and Telmatochromis.

A great article on the 'shellies' can be found at the link below:

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a065.html

Back
Top Bottom