180 gallon CA/SA stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That may seem like a large tank but it's not remotely large enough for a Parachromis dovii or Caquetaia umbriferus.

Haha! I realize it's not large enough. That was my lame attempt at humor.

slayer72 said:
Agreed. They are awesome looking fish. The red really stands out. HUKIT knows his stuff.

If you're going that big, just do it right:

Nandopsis_Haitiensis_9059.jpg

Nandopsis haitiensis

5X5 thats a pike cichlid in your pic right? I used to have one long time ago..fun fish if you like to see them tear stuff up LOL

The wife is laughing at me over the red tiger...now that I've seen one I want a pair *grin* I even have a tank for them already, just got to do a lot of cleaning and get a HoB for it.

5X5 thats a pike cichlid in your pic right? I used to have one long time ago..fun fish if you like to see them tear stuff up LOL

The wife is laughing at me over the red tiger...now that I've seen one I want a pair *grin* I even have a tank for them already, just got to do a lot of cleaning and get a HoB for it.

Yes, thats a Crenicichla marmorata, one of the big boys. What type of pike did you previously have?

The RTM is a nice fish. On my "to do" list among among another 200 or so.

If you're going that big, just do it right:

Nandopsis haitiensis

I've been checking these out for a while. Can anything live with them or are they just too mean? They don't call them Black Nasty for nothing right? Lol

I've been checking these out for a while. Can anything live with them or are they just too mean? They don't call them Black Nasty for nothing right? Lol

I've never had one, but one of the other guys in this thread may have. Based on what I've heard, it's not easy keeping tankmates with them.

I wish I knew, he was a rescue fish and the guy only knew he was a pike cichlid, and before I got to the point of wanting to know I realized he had hole in the head thing going on...he lived about 2 years for me before passing away.

Ok, my 180 gallon plywood project is underway. Its going to take me a while to complete because of my work schedule, which gives me plenty of time to think. I've decided to stock " new world" cichlids. I'm really loving the andinocara rivulatus. I'd like to add a few more medium/large guys to the mix. I'm staying away from the huge monsters (dovii, umbee etc). My question is what will mix well? I don't mind some aggression and scrapping. Any suggestions and advice will be considered and appreciated.

Changed courses, I found a brand new 180 acrylic for $ 550 delivered. Honestly that's cheap enough for me. I'm still doing everything else DIY.

Changed courses, I found a brand new 180 acrylic for $ 550 delivered. Honestly that's cheap enough for me. I'm still doing everything else DIY.

That will be really nice I'm sure. I've always wanted to do a large acrylic tank. The clarity is second to none, although you can really damage them if you are not careful.

I'm not much of a DIY'er with tanks or carpentry, but I understand acrylic tanks need full bottom support, unlike cross supports requirements for glass.

That will be really nice I'm sure. I've always wanted to do a large acrylic tank. The clarity is second to none, although you can really damage them if you are not careful.

I'm not much of a DIY'er with tanks or carpentry, but I understand acrylic tanks need full bottom support, unlike cross supports requirements for glass.

Yes they do need full support. I'm an experienced cabinet maker, so hopefully it won't be too hard to make a stand and canopy.

Yes they do need full support. I'm an experienced cabinet maker, so hopefully it won't be too hard to make a stand and canopy.

You should be in good shape then. If I were to build a DIY stand, I would also be doing some DIY flood cleanup.

Looking forward to pictures.

Jealous - wish I was doing my 180 again from scratch. Nothing like a big tank build.

Tell us a little more about what you kind of fish you like. rivulatus should work with a lot different medium aggression cichlids. If you like rivulatus, make sure you get that and not the gold saum.

Here would be some recommendations to look into:

Herichthys species
Cryptoheros species
Thorichthys species

For a larger and more aggressive tank you could look as some of the smaller Cichlasomas (e.g., salvini) or paratheraps species.

and who doesn't like a good pike (Crenicichla). With a tank that size you could do a nice Lugubris.

I've been doing some research. Rivulatus is a gold saum according to what I've read. Stalsbergi is the" true" Green Terror. Either way both are beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom