Stocking opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennyblee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I am so psyched to be at the stocking stage of my tank. It is 20 gallons and I completed a fishless cycle, it will cycle out 3.5 ppm pure ammonia completely to nitrate in 24 hours. I exchanged water to get nitrate down to 5 ppm, with 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite, and started my stocking yesterday! pH is ~7.5, temp at 74.

My original plan was for 6 neon tetras, 8 celestial pearl danios, and 3 female guppies (don't want to deal with fry...)

I stocked the 3 guppies and neon tetras yesterday, today they seem to be pretty happy, although one guppy is very pokey. She's been that way all along, I wonder if she's just more zen than the others. She looks like she's in beautiful shape, perfect fins and all, doubt she's sick but will keep a close eye.

Unfortunately, they were out of the celestial pearl danios, and I'm not sure when they will be available again.

So, I'm debating between just adding another guppy and a few more neon tetras to fill out the tank, waiting on the celestials, or perhaps something different, like a single male dwarf gourami or maybe a small school of harlequin rasporas, although not sure if there is room for either of the latter 2 choices. I wouldn't mind cory catfish but for some reason they freak out my kids and they don't want corys.

Any opinions? If I can't get the celestials I'm leaning towards a dwarf gourami, but I've heard so many differing opinions on keeping a single male, especially with other long-finned fish (like guppies), so not sure what to think. Anyone else wanna chime in and make it even more confusing for me to decide? :lol:

Thanks!

You didn't indicate the number of neon tetra you currently have. Also is this a 20 long or a 20 high ? I'd avoid the dwarf gourami in either case - they are nice looking fishes but their behavior can be unpredictable - sometime they work out but sometime they become bullies and given it is much larger than your other fishes it could end badly if you get a bully.

Thanks Jake, sorry I forgot to mention I got all 6 neons, although unfortunately one didn't survive the stocking so there are now 5. She was *tiny*, I didn't realize how little she was, if I had noticed at the store I probably would have asked for a slightly more mature fish.

It is a 20 high.

In any event, my LFS received the celestial pearl danios I have been pining for, so added 6 yesterday!

You could consider borelli apistogramma or 3 honey gourami if you want but a 20 high doesn't have a lot of swimming room. It wouldn't hurt to add 3 more neon.

Back
Top Bottom