1st African Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaderman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First I want to say "Hi" and I am new to the forum.

Second I am looking to set up my 1st ever African Cichlid tank. I have had tropical tanks all my life but they have been mainly community fish and this is my first time going to cichlids and this will also be the biggest tank I have ever had. I am curently in the process of slowly putting together this tank and it probably wont be up and ready to go until late February. I have recently purchased a 55 gallon tank, 55 gallon-rated heater, and 55 gallon under gravel filter, I plan to put a 100 gallon hang on filter on this as well. I have read on some other websites and have heard from some friends that African cichlids are much harder to take care of than the community fish I have previously had. I heard somethig about they need to be in slightly alkaline water, and you cant have live plants with them, as well as very rigid compatibility issues (I am aware they are an agressive breed and can't just be mixed with ANYTHING). I guess that I am just looking for some insight and tips to help me to learn to care for this breed of fish.
Thanks! :p
Joe

Joe looks to me like you have most of the base issues covered. Other than compatability issues, I personally don't know that Africans are any harder to keep than any other type of fish. You are correct in that they prefer more alkaline water, but that can easily be taken care of by a number of different methods. Some have kept them with live plants successfully, but mine always act the plants are cotton candy and mow them upon introduction (I also would say it depends on the type of plant as well). Compatability issues are definitely the biggest issue. You don't generally want to mix varieties with the same body shapes or colors, and they can hybridize and also be more aggressive to members of different species that have the same coloration. You need to research and take seriously recommondations on minimum tank sizes (55gal is pretty much the minimum I recommend), and limits on numbers (especially limits on males in a 55). They get large, aggressive, and produce lots of waste.

On the plus side, they are almost as colorful as SWF, have great personalities, and IMO are one of the easiest tropicals to induce breeding in.

if you use tap water use some water conditioner that is what i do and the uther thing that will look really cool in there is a black ghost knife and a eclipse catfish that is what i have hope that helps

My 2 cents worth, again.
I've been raising African Cichlids for 9 months now. And they are very aggressive. You will need to have many more females than males. Cichlid males like Harems.
2 of my males got into it a while back over wanting the same cave and they did hurt each other.
So I put them in separate tanks to heal. Then before I put them back in the tank I rearranged the tank and put the cave they fought over on the opposite side of the tank. Then I put them back into the tank at exactly the same time. And there is peace.
Turns out that one Cichlid wanted the cave and the other wanted the spot the cave sat on. Now they stay on each end of the tank and everyone in between is happy and peaceful.
I hope this will be of use to you in the future. Enjoy your Cichlids, they are great fish.
One last thing, they are very easy to care for. They are hardy and tolerant of newbie mistakes. I made most of them.

drprowant said:
if you use tap water use some water conditioner that is what i do and the uther thing that will look really cool in there is a black ghost knife and a eclipse catfish that is what i have hope that helps

Well, I finally came across someone else with eclipse. I love my two, and need to move them due to their growth. They get along fine with the cichlids? They are currently in a community tank, but are large enough to eat my smaller tetras, and I want to move them where they just eat purchased "food". Tetras are a bit expensive for that, especially the school of 8 rummynoses that has recently disappeared!!

I have had no issues with my African Cichlid tank. It has only been running for about 3 months, but all the fish seem happy and healthy. It is by far my easiest tank to maintain. They're a ton of fun to watch. Try to find a person who knows African Cichlids at your LFS, and you should be fine. Just make sure you get a group that is compatible. Be careful with the Mbuna variety...they're my most aggressive inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom