20 gallon long Tanganyika tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake M.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got permission I purchase a 20 gallon long aquarium. Score! I'm thinking about having a Tanganyika tank. I don't actually have anything yet, but I'll get the tank soon to get it cycling. My stocking plan is
6 or so lamprologus multifasciatus
1 julidochromis marlieri
Maybe some kind of other rock dweller, I was thinking a compressiceps but I've heard they get too big
Some kind of schooling fish to keep the top areas alive, maybe leopard danios?
Does anyone have a schooling fish to recommend? Will the compressiceps work out? If not, is there another rock dweller that would work? My hardscape would probably be a pile of rock on one side, with 50 or so shells on the other. My water pH is 7.6 to 7.8. No clue on the GH or KH, how do I figure that out? I just know my water is hard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't put anything with the multis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Compressiceps would get too big. Personally I'd keep the shell dwellers in a species only tank, especially if you were hoping to breed them.
I like the Sardine cichlids for top swimmers, but you need to get a school of them and they require a lot of swimming space.
Be careful with the hardscape if you're keeping the Multis, they're diggers so you're gonna need to use sand. But you have to be careful with rocks, all the digging could cause them to fall and crush them if they're not well anchored.

I figured the compressiceps are too big. I wish I could get the sardine cichlids, that price tag is a little too big though. Maybe I'll just do a regular planted tank if I can't get anything with the multis.

You might be able to get away with a Juli if you get it scaped right.
If you could make sure they're stable and built the rock work right, up the back of the aquarium you could have quite a few Multis and have it look really effective.

As someone who has multis with other fish in a 20 long: don't do it. It's difficult and a pain in the rear.

Also, multis+plants=no Bueno. They will move large quantities of sand around. Keep it to a species tank, shells, sand, maybe some holey rock and a Val or two. Call it a day. You'll save a lot of frustration

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 with keeping only multis
The Shellie's have a very big ego and get very aggressive with other fish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think I'll just do something else, maybe some kind of oddball tank. But thank you for the help everyone!

I think I'll just do something else, maybe some kind of oddball tank. But thank you for the help everyone!

Multis are awesome. I could sit for hours and watch mine when I had them but if you want to do community I would do as you said and go a different route. I had some temp with other fish and in hours all the other fish had U shaped portions of fins missing from getting too close to the colony. Freakgecko is the only one I have heard of that was able to keep them with others.

After watching some videos of the multis' behavior, I think I will get them. Is it OK to just buy an unsexed group? When I get the tank set up, I'll post some pictures.

After watching some videos of the multis' behavior, I think I will get them. Is it OK to just buy an unsexed group? When I get the tank set up, I'll post some pictures.

Yes, buy more than you need, then weed out the excess makes as they develop and get shunned by the rest of the colony

FYI they're not easily sexed at any age, but as adults, the males are much larger. Once they start breeding the weaker males will be pushed away from the shells and not allowed to have a territory

I might be able to get a custom tank. My parents' concerns are more about the weight, and not so much space. What about a tank 48" x 12" x 8"?(L x W x H) would I be able to fit a another species in with the multifasciatus?

Yeah, probably the shellies and a pair of julidochromis, as long as you set the tank up properly. Research as many species as you can.

Weight generally isn't much of an issue. I have a 120 gallon in my apartment (first floor, but still) no problem

If I were to get a tank larger than a 20 long, what would the minimum tank dimensions be for a second species to live comfortably with the multifasciatus?

I think you would be best with a 33 Long or a 40 Long. both are 48" x 12" and 13" or 16" high. Build a large rock divider across the middle.

OK, now its up to me to convince my parents to let me get another 4 foot tank. ; )

Soooooo.. Let's say that I can get a 40 long. What would a decent stocking list be? Maybe a group of multis, a julidochromis, and could I have some kind of top swimming fish?

Soooooo.. Let's say that I can get a 40 long. What would a decent stocking list be? Maybe a group of multis, a julidochromis, and could I have some kind of top swimming fish?

Nothing really, maybe zebra danios. The shellies will generally stress them horribly, so you would need a fast, resilient species. I would say do a 20 long and and just keep it a species only tank for a shellie species

OK. I'm getting a tank today, probably a 20 long. I have a filter that's on my established 60 gallon malawi tank. If I put the filter pad from that filter into the new tank's filter, it would cycle pretty much instantly, right? I guess I will just get the multis for the 20.

Back
Top Bottom