220 litre/50 Gallon Cichlid Noob Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwithyen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To anyone who helped me with my other 3 tanks here previously - :thanks:
You were amazing.

Now I have a new, cycled, empty 50 Gallon tank and would love to start a cichlid tank...
So... Help! Stocking ideas? I'm getting a book on cichlids tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas on what goes with what well?!

:fish2:

I reckon so, but I'm still learning! I also have a 6 inch RTBS... Can I combine?!

Try lake Malawi Mbuna cichlids. Like yellow lab cichlid or red zebra or rusty cichlid. There all pretty, and cool.

Something bright sounds good! Do you think they might mix with a RTBS too?!

So what is the recommended max stocking of African cichlids in a 50 gallon?
I currently have 9 juveniles and a gibbicepts.
Filtration by a fluval 205 external filter and another internal filter, rated for 200 litres.

Any ideas?

Don't mix africans and a RTBS they will kill him I would try a firemouth cichlid pair and a school of 6 giant danios.

Only 8 fish in a fifty gallon? I thought I could over stock?
The Ruby shark is about 6 inches, no idea how old, the cichlids leave him alone currently, he does have another tank to go to if they or he get too boisterous!!

My happy tank is doing well, I thought that they had started to breed, but all the females who had a "full" mouth have not delivered. Any suggestions on how to improve the strike rate?

gwithyen said:
To anyone who helped me with my other 3 tanks here previously - :thanks:
You were amazing.

Now I have a new, cycled, empty 50 Gallon tank and would love to start a cichlid tank...
So... Help! Stocking ideas? I'm getting a book on cichlids tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas on what goes with what well?!

:fish2:

How do you make a thread

Hrvat I have 3 African cichlid tanks,the ph needs to be between 7.6 to 9.0 ? You can buffer the water by using corral sand & ocean rock :) Get the longest tank you can ? Cichlids are aggressive fish,and build territories ? This advice are for African Cichlids mate ? South American Cichlids are Aggressive also,but brilliant parents !!!

gwithyen said:
My happy tank is doing well, I thought that they had started to breed, but all the females who had a "full" mouth have not delivered. Any suggestions on how to improve the strike rate?

What did you end up going with?

Andrew what do you feed your African Cichlids mate ? I use New Era ( green pellets ) & Sera Granugreen pellets cucumber,lettuce ?

I got 9 Malawi cichlids in the end, 3 yellow labs, 3 dragons bloods (think that's what they're called,) and 3 blue striped ones that I haven't identified yet. They are all very happy!
Double filtered, a fluval 205 external and a 200L internal to keep things moving!

Back
Top Bottom