25 gallons too few for Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I received a free 25 gallon tank by chance this past week and I would really like to setup something that rivals the colors and sights of a saltie. The motivation for this kind of setup is that my 15 month-old son gets to see a large salt-water setup a couple of times a week that he is just absolutely fascinated by every time he sees it. We want to try and duplicate some of that magic in our house on a daily basis.

From my initial research I can tell that African Cichlids offer up what we are looking for aesthetically: rocks, caves, activity, and beautiful colors. My concern, however, is whether all of this is possible in a small tank like what we have. If we are only going to wind up with a couple or three fish then I would prefer to go a different route so that we can have (at least) a handful of fish to house.

The "new" aquarium is being tested for leaks and all of that sort of stuff right now so we are working with a blank canvas. I am not committed to any type of filtration, substrate, heating, lighting, etc.

If this tank is too small for African Cichlids do you have any other suggestions of an aquarium environment that would give us bright, colorful fish that enjoy rocky settings?

TIA!

Planted with Rams..... I'm hooked on Rams, lol

75g130.jpg

75g138.jpg

75g139.jpg

75g123.jpg

75g124.jpg

75g125.jpg

75g69.jpg

75g106.jpg

75g108.jpg

Yes, too small for Africans. I had a 30 gallon blow up on me even though I put a lot of work into it. After that disaster I went back to small schooling fish. I currently have badis (colorful and hardy but may only eat frozen food), khuli loaches, and zebra danios.

I have, however, been able to keep one yellow lab in a 10 gallon tank. I've been pretty happy with the results, but it is the only fish that can be in there.

Don't know about Africans, but i'm keeping a Firemouth in a 10 gallon as well as a pair of Convicts in a ten gallon, and they're breeding! I was hoping to breed the pair of firemouths but the male got sick and died. :( But the convicts are breeding in the ten gallon! Which is a pain in the ass because theyre not a very wanted fish by pet stores.

As mentioned, the tank is too small for Africans. They need a minimum of 55 gal.

Rams are a great option, but they are also sensitive to water conditions. There are many tetras and Barbs that have great coloration.

kenneth- Do you plan on upgrading tank sizes in the near future? A 10 gal tank does not provide enough space for the fish that you listed.

i'm keeping a Firemouth in a 10 gallon as well as a pair of Convicts in a ten gallon

I promise I'm not trying to be mean here, but a 10 gallon is much too small IMO for either of these species singly, let alone in pairs. I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than 29 gallons, as both these species are active and aggressive fish. As for the cons, they become extremely aggressive when spawning and will need some room to get away from each other or you may end up with some casualties. I keep a firemouth and female con in a 55 gallon.

I do agree that 25 gallons is too small to keep Africans, but like Lonewolf said you would have plenty of room for a pair of rams, along with some pretty tetras and corys. You could also go with fewer schooling fish and get a male dwarf gourami instead- they are very colorful and interesting too. All these fish prefer a planted tank, but if you don't want to try your hand at real plants just yet they will do fine with fake plants too. Or, there are plenty of low light plants you could try that are very easy to care for. They also like rock caves, driftwood, clay pots, and/or any other hiding spots you can provide. Do be aware that rams are extremely sensitive fish and should only be added to a well established tank (I would suggest waiting about 6 months after the tank has completed the cycle). Even then they can be a gamble. I personally have not had great luck with this species, but they are truly beautiful once you can get them to thrive. :D

These are all temporary homes, but that doesnt seem to stop the little rabbits. There's a 75 sitting by or all of the convicts to live in until I manage to get rid of them.

I appreciate all of the tips and advice. Thanks a heap!

Lonewolfblue--that tank is amazing!!

xkenneth said:
These are all temporary homes, but that doesnt seem to stop the little rabbits.
That's why the stores do not want the young convicts, due to the ease of breeding, there is a surplus of convicts (and many other SA cichlids). You should separate the females from the males to allow the females to restore their bodies. Producing eggs takes its toll!

huck--Welcome to AA!
If you want caves and want a hardier fish, I suggest kribensis. They can be territorial when breeding, but I keep mine with khuli loaches, small plecos, cories and white cloud minnows and everyone has been doing well for a couple of years.

shawmutt said:
After that disaster I went back to small schooling fish. I currently have badis (colorful and hardy but may only eat frozen food), khuli loaches, and zebra danios.
That tank must be amazing! I have kept Badis badis in the past and loved them; although, mine were not very hardy.

your tank is to small for most africans but ther is several smaller africans Tanganyika Shell Dwellers you still are limited by space i think you should look into a tropical comunity tank

Back
Top Bottom