75 gallon african cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src61wh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, about 5 years ago I had 2 Cichlid tanks (55 gal and 30 gal). I managed them very well and never had problems. But now it's 5 years later and I just got a 75 gallon tank with stand. I do not have a hood or lights ( or any thing else for that matter). What I need help with is knowing what specs I will need to get a 75 galling tank running ( also I will be placing live plants in the tank. If that matters for certain hoods and lights. As for filters, I like canitster but I think they may be expensive, should I run with 2 wall mounted filters? Or def go with canister? Also what's up with underground heaters? Are those better or should I just get 2 150w heaters for each side. I also just purchased 40 pounds of crushed coral. Will I need more? I know Africans like to move them around. Hope to get some info back soon, thanks

What kind of Africans are you getting? Mbuna?

Planted tanks usually don't work well with african cichlids. They love to tear them up :flowers: If you were going to try any, I heard that big leafed plants like anubias sometimes make it. This works out well since those are also usually low lighting plants. Standard stock lighting would probably be okay for those but 2-3 watts per gallon would be better. Personally I wouldn't focus on the plants in a African tank.

For 75 gallons and up, alot of people like canister filters. Look up the 'fluval 405'. I haven't ever tried canister filters myself so no help there. You could get away with just using 2 hang-on-back filters though. I would get 2 aquaclear 70's for a 75g. It may sound like overkill but african cichlid tanks are usually overstocked to help reduce aggression, so extra filtration is a must.

Two 150watt heater's should be fine.

And yes, I would get more than 40lbs of substrate in a 75g. I used about 50lbs in my 55g and it worked out well. This is really more for looks anyway so it doesn't matter much. If you're getting mbuna, they usually prefer sand though. I would recommend pool filter sand.

Good luck with your new tank! Do lots of research.

src61wh said:
Hey all, about 5 years ago I had 2 Cichlid tanks (55 gal and 30 gal). I managed them very well and never had problems. But now it's 5 years later and I just got a 75 gallon tank with stand. I do not have a hood or lights ( or any thing else for that matter). What I need help with is knowing what specs I will need to get a 75 galling tank running ( also I will be placing live plants in the tank. If that matters for certain hoods and lights. As for filters, I like canitster but I think they may be expensive, should I run with 2 wall mounted filters? Or def go with canister? Also what's up with underground heaters? Are those better or should I just get 2 150w heaters for each side. I also just purchased 40 pounds of crushed coral. Will I need more? I know Africans like to move them around. Hope to get some info back soon, thanks

subliminalanarchy said:
What kind of Africans are you getting? Mbuna?

Planted tanks usually don't work well with african cichlids. They love to tear them up :flowers: If you were going to try any, I heard that big leafed plants like anubias sometimes make it. This works out well since those are also usually low lighting plants. Standard stock lighting would probably be okay for those but 2-3 watts per gallon would be better. Personally I wouldn't focus on the plants in a African tank.

For 75 gallons and up, alot of people like canister filters. Look up the 'fluval 405'. I haven't ever tried canister filters myself so no help there. You could get away with just using 2 hang-on-back filters though. I would get 2 aquaclear 70's for a 75g. It may sound like overkill but african cichlid tanks are usually overstocked to help reduce aggression, so extra filtration is a must.

Two 150watt heater's should be fine.

And yes, I would get more than 40lbs of substrate in a 75g. I used about 50lbs in my 55g and it worked out well. This is really more for looks anyway so it doesn't matter much. If you're getting mbuna, they usually prefer sand though. I would recommend pool filter sand.

Good luck with your new tank! Do lots of research.

Take time in setting up your tank being it planted or not also the fluval 405 has gotten cheaper especially on eBay. Otherwise good luck on your fish

Back
Top Bottom