Adding more Cichlids to my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah he looked yellow and then when i got home home orange....but doesnt look like my red zebra at all....and then again maybe i brought home a red zebra and the one i had before is something else.

yeah he looked yellow and then when i got home home orange....but doesnt look like my red zebra at all....and then again maybe i brought home a red zebra and the one i had before is something else.

Male kenyis are orange to and look very similar .. you should google it and see.. walmart and other stores keep them in the same assorted tank with the labs and others just like pictured

Depends on the cichlid how fast they grow.. smaller feedings and more frequent ones plus more frequent water changes is what helps them grow faster.. i got most of mine in dec and they have doubled or more in size but i change 25%-50% of my water in the 125g atleast 1 time a week if not more depending on if i have fed seaweed or my parameters are high which usually i have perfect water i just know im overstoked and when they get bigger ill have to do water changes 2 mayb 3 times a week

I have had my cichlids for 3 months just and they have not changed at all... for the past 2 weeks i have been feeding them the normal in the morning ( about 40 pellets and a pinch of flakes) and then a pinch of pellets and some flakes at night. Sometimes a few flakes half way through the day. No one has had bloat or anything but the big guy that eats half the food is a bit fat but he was like that like 2 months ago. I did a 60% water change yesterday. I had not done one in almost a month :( to much planning to go away for over a week. I am leaving in a week and going to do a water change tomorrow and one for sure maybe two others before i go. So... question. It took my cichlids two weeks to not be scared of me when i first got them and then a month ago they have all been hiding every time i or anyone goes into my room... WHY?

First off 40 pellets plus flakes and then some more at night is too much food for 13 fish thats half of what i feed mine minus the flakes and i have 52 fish ....

With your water parameters you shouldnt go a month with out doing a water change it could kill your fish or they can get diseases ..
They prolly are getting shocked from the lights cutting on after being in the dark or mayb just bc nobody is around for long periods so they arent used to people being around

First off 40 pellets plus flakes and then some more at night is too much food for 13 fish thats half of what i feed mine minus the flakes and i have 52 fish ....

With your water parameters you shouldnt go a month with out doing a water change it could kill your fish or they can get diseases ..
They prolly are getting shocked from the lights cutting on after being in the dark or mayb just bc nobody is around for long periods so they arent used to people being around

That's only 3 pellets for each fish.... and they are . <---- actually that size. The flakes are for the 2 or 3 that can't get to the top fast enough before the pellets get eaten. I have been home and feed them every day though... as lights go on at 8-9 every morning and stay on tell 9-10 at night

I have had my cichlids for 3 months just and they have not changed at all... for the past 2 weeks i have been feeding them the normal in the morning ( about 40 pellets and a pinch of flakes) and then a pinch of pellets and some flakes at night. Sometimes a few flakes half way through the day. No one has had bloat or anything but the big guy that eats half the food is a bit fat but he was like that like 2 months ago. I did a 60% water change yesterday. I had not done one in almost a month :( to much planning to go away for over a week. I am leaving in a week and going to do a water change tomorrow and one for sure maybe two others before i go. So... question. It took my cichlids two weeks to not be scared of me when i first got them and then a month ago they have all been hiding every time i or anyone goes into my room... WHY?

I'm sure you know already, but a month is way to long for them to be in the same water. I do a 50% water change, two times a week. So my nitrates always stay under 10 ppm, and there is tons of oxygen in the water. I feed them new life spectrum cichlid formula, and Thera A twice a day. Some mbuna that I've had in there for a month, have almost doubled in size, length and girth. And my peacocks colors, are so much brighter and more metallic like, compared to when I brought them home. I think water changes are Crucial in this, along with a good diet. Also the tank is in my living room, right next to my favorite chair, so I'm always by them, looking at them, so they're always out, looking at and for me. You should consider investing in the python water changer, that's why I do such large frequent changes, it's so simple with it.

I'm sure you know already, but a month is way to long for them to be in the same water. I do a 50% water change, two times a week. So my nitrates always stay under 10 ppm, and there is tons of oxygen in the water. I feed them new life spectrum cichlid formula, and Thera A twice a day. Some mbuna that I've had in there for a month, have almost doubled in size, length and girth. And my peacocks colors, are so much brighter and more metallic like, compared to when I brought them home. I think water changes are Crucial in this, along with a good diet. Also the tank is in my living room, right next to my favorite chair, so I'm always by them, looking at them, so they're always out, looking at and for me. You should consider investing in the python water changer, that's why I do such large frequent changes, it's so simple with it.

Me too well i bought the cheaper aqueon one but it gets the job done ... my fish constantly follow me and my husband around the room and i swear i have caught a few watchin tv a their tank faces it..

Yes i was and am doing them every 5 days. I had all the levels great then i got sick. Went housing. And then b day and family gathering. I hate how it takes me the whole day to change the water so i can't be doing anything that day. Also no one can shower 2 hours before i fill the tanks lol. Bbuuttt i now have a fish holding eggs.... check my new thread

Yes i was and am doing them every 5 days. I had all the levels great then i got sick. Went housing. And then b day and family gathering. I hate how it takes me the whole day to change the water so i can't be doing anything that day. Also no one can shower 2 hours before i fill the tanks lol. Bbuuttt i now have a fish holding eggs.... check my new thread
Yesterday i took all the slate out and scrub them all. After 3 months it gets kinda green. I also took the female that is holding out and into a 10g. I added some plants to the tank to make more hiding spots ave to make it more full. They hid all day yesterday so i just turned the light off once the water change was done. They are happy this morning. In the bucket, is the cichlid i am trying to sell.

ForumRunner_20130703_104820.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104831.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104850.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104859.jpg

Back
Top Bottom