Adding more Cichlids to my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You couldnt bring him back to the lfs they usually will give you a credit and you coulda replaced him

I got him out of town and the 14 days is up.... my other lfs doesn't sell them as big as he is

I got him out of town and the 14 days is up.... my other lfs doesn't sell them as big as he is

They prob wouldn't want to even give me $10 for him. I would rather sell him on craigslist and get that. At this point i don't even wanna catch him again.... everytime i have to take everything out and put it back. I have family coming in 2 hours :(

Is the tank still doing better?

Its hard to tell... there wasn't a sad fish but now there seems to be the newest female lab is sad again. The other male that has stepped up is now almost as dark as the other guy but doesn't chase constantly. The ob is being a butt and the other ob doesn't look to happy either. There is stock picking but not full on chasing for a min straight like the guy in time out did. Since i put cloths in the handles he hasn't gotten out lol

I had a thought.... would it be good to get just all female labs? The labs seem to be the most aggressive ones right now, other then one OB. Or will all the other males from the ob, cobalt and peacock pick on them?

I have 26 in my 55, but it's a lot of work to keep 'trates down. I use a 55g filter, and a 70g filter and a 21w UV sterilizer with 2 sponge filters in the corner. And I still do water changes 2-3 times a week. However, because I am so heavily stocked, everyone gets along. (I also have an elaborate network if caves and hiding places) which helps a lot.

When I didn't have a lot of hiding places fish would always be trying to find one, and fighting. After I added 15 caves and a few other ornaments EVERYONE is out all the time. I found its more about giving them security, knowing they can hide if they need to makes them feel safer to come out and mix it up.

I have 26 in my 55, but it's a lot of work to keep 'trates down. I use a 55g filter, and a 70g filter and a 21w UV sterilizer with 2 sponge filters in the corner. And I still do water changes 2-3 times a week. However, because I am so heavily stocked, everyone gets along. (I also have an elaborate network if caves and hiding places) which helps a lot.

When I didn't have a lot of hiding places fish would always be trying to find one, and fighting. After I added 15 caves and a few other ornaments EVERYONE is out all the time. I found its more about giving them security, knowing they can hide if they need to makes them feel safer to come out and mix it up.
I am already having a problem keeping my trates down as it is. i dont want to get it over stocked to much and not be able to get them down and kill all the fish because of it. I am going to try and stay in the 18-20 range.

I just took a video... In the video you can see that the OB I show in the beginning is the main guy i think. he was the first OB I had. The second fish I believe i go closer into, is the new lab female that isnt the happiest yet. the third fish is the other OB that just hangs around in the top corner and doesnt swim around the tank. After that, I tried to follow the yellow lab that I believe has become the dominant one.

It may help a little to put all the rocks back in the tank and leave them. When you take them out ( i now you had to to catch the lab) it makes them have to find new spots to hide. So they will fight a little more over those spots. Also when you go to get it back together try to make smaller hiding spots so they feel safer. They can fit into some of the smallest of holes and they love them and pretty much need them

It may help a little to put all the rocks back in the tank and leave them. When you take them out ( i now you had to to catch the lab) it makes them have to find new spots to hide. So they will fight a little more over those spots. Also when you go to get it back together try to make smaller hiding spots so they feel safer. They can fit into some of the smallest of holes and they love them and pretty much need them
Yeah i am going to put lots in. I try to get small spots but its hard when tho slate pieces are big so there is big spots. When should i let the other guy out?

Okay, I will do that then. What stock should I do? Like sit there and watch and add to the group I feel is getting picked on the most? or what do you suggest?

Try adding him back if he goes on a rampage again your going to need to take him out and get rid of him. You can try adding more but your water quality is saying no more. So your going to need to do maintenance more often if you do. There is always going to be aggression as long as it's not non stop chasing, circling and fin nipping then you shouldn't need to worry about it so much.

Try adding him back if he goes on a rampage again your going to need to take him out and get rid of him. You can try adding more but your water quality is saying no more. So your going to need to do maintenance more often if you do. There is always going to be aggression as long as it's not non stop chasing, circling and fin nipping then you shouldn't need to worry about it so much.

Okay, i will stay with the 17 unless there is another death or something. I already have him on craigslist but could try harder to get rid of him if needed. I can't do wc more often because i just don't do it lol. I am bad at it but trying to do it every 5 day

Sooo uhhh yeah.... he isn't going to work. He is locking lips with another male that became dominat and chasing the females very fast. Ill attach video soon

Back
Top Bottom