Advice needed on starting cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't put cichlids in with loaches. They need different tank params and kubotais are too peaceful for aggressive fish. They grow to 5-6 in max.

Just curious, are there any exceptions? My clown loach has been in with my Africans for over a year, all are healthy and happy. Many of the fish keepers around my area have clown loaches in with Africans as well and I haven't heard or seen any problems. The show tanks at 2 lfs has clown loaches with Africans as well. Not arguing .... Just curious

Just curious, are there any exceptions? My clown loach has been in with my Africans for over a year, all are healthy and happy. Many of the fish keepers around my area have clown loaches in with Africans as well and I haven't heard or seen any problems. The show tanks at 2 lfs has clown loaches with Africans as well. Not arguing .... Just curious

It's a terrible idea, you're stressing the fish. You're putting a living thing in conditions it should never be in.

Ok well I have a 55 sitting empty that I could move him to.... Tank mates?

Now I feel as if I'm doing something wrong. Lol I have a 110 gallon 2 large prices of drift wood 2 Fluval heaters 2 inches of sand artificial plants uv light with normal lighting I run 3 bubblers and 2 marineland magnum 350 canisters I have 13 mbuna ranging in size from 1" to 3" a pictus cat 3" 2 peacock cichlids 2" 3 bala sharks 3" (yes they will be regimes as necessary) and. 6" jack dempsy and. 4" convictions a 3" blue prawn. I know that some of these fish have different water parameters and that they are all not supposed to get along but I keep my water parameters in a middle range as with the temp. All get along well as well as can be expected with cichlids they do some chasing. But my dempsy (I'm not saying this is normal) doesn't bother any one in the tank. Not even the 3 small 1" mbuna. All seem to just mostly go about their business. If there is any hostility I would say it is the convict and the dempsy. The occasionally lip lock over a cave. The prawn on the other hand (total impulse but by the way) can tend to try and grab anyone that swims past him. So is what I'm doing horrible? Should I change something? Re home anyone? Oh and does anyone know anything about blue prawn?? Lol. Thanks y'all for listening to my rant.

Hutty

Mscherer, I would never adivse anyone to mix the 2. As soon as the clown gets big enough it probably wouldnt be a target for your mbuna. If its been in there for a year without injury you could probably leave it where it is unless your tank is too small for all of your fish.

They both have different water parameters though and im now a complete fuss pot for only keeping fish that match my tap water where most keepers wont go this far. I personally wouldnt set up another 55 just to move the clown out if hes settled unless youre thinking of changing the water parameters to match the clown preferable chemistry or if its being attacked but then i woukdnt keep one in a 55g anyway as its not really big enough. It would probably get lonely on its own anyway as they prefer to be in a group.

Last edited:
You must move the mbuna ASAP! You will stress them and they will resort to violence! I just seen on the news a stressed yellow lab In New Orleans east left the tank in the middle of the night, opened the gun safe and took out his owner with extreme prejudice !! Move them for your own safety! Lol

Sorry I don't think I ever touched on the pint here.like I said it works in my tank but that doesn't mean it will work in all. I wouldn't suggest it either. I happened upon my fish in strange ways. Mostly rescue. The convict jack and pictus were gonna get flushed I figured that living with mbuna was better than sleeping with the fishes so to speak. But in a perfect world I would not have mixed them. I would have set up another tank but then I'd be homeless cuz well happy wife happy life. Lol

You must move the mbuna ASAP! You will stress them and they will resort to violence! I just seen on the news a stressed yellow lab In New Orleans east left the tank in the middle of the night, opened the gun safe and took out his owner with extreme prejudice !! Move them for your own safety! Lol

You are being sarcastic this i can pick up. Not saying your wrong but if anyone in my tank is stressed it's the convict and the jack. The mbuna run that tank.

I was just kidding around.... The owner was able to disarm the fish before any harm was done :eek:p

Can a JD be in a tank by himself? Say around a 55 gal? I'm willing to do anything to eventually have my own jack

A JD in a 30 isn't fair to the fish. Do a pair of German blue rams and a couple schools of colorful tetras ( like serpae) and also some Cory cats ( I have orange laser Cory's) and you will have beautiful, active, easy to keep clean tank. Plus the rams have awesome personalities. Mine eat from my hand. Here's my tank and my rams.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388097955.888954.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388097988.742773.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388098099.849894.jpg

That's what I decided. Like I said having a Jack Dempsey is my dream but, I am going to wait till I have room to get at least a 55 if not bigger. As of now I will probably just get some mollies or tetras or something.

The fish gods were listening! Got on Craig's list and there was a 55 gal tank for sale!

Back
Top Bottom