African cichlid with common pleco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have a 10 or 20gallon and your pleco shouldnt be in there. Why not get rid of him and get fish that are suitable.

African cichlids are sociable fish and should be in groups, it wouldnt be fair. Why not do a group of small freshwater fish.

Thanks and I was thinking of getting 6 neon tetras and 3 guppies or a dwarf gourmi would that be fine and I have no idea why I am asking this. Because I have been keeping fish for 6 years but you know its always best to check first you know what I mean i have had fish before like a month ago and my algae eater is the only one left because of a cichlid attack (Oscar).

Not to be rude but in the 6yrs youve been fish keeping did you not learn oscars shouldnt be in anything less than 55gallons.

The fish you suggested -the guppies wouldnt be ideal but a Much better than the pleco and a cichlid.

No no don't be sorry. I don't study cichlid kinds. I only study-Tetras, and community tropical fish. I don't study cichlids.

Plecos and african cichlids would never meet in the wild if im correct. Can it be done? Absolutly. Should you? Probably not. Its one of those things that some people do but really shouldnt Bristlenose plecos are most commonly kept with african cichlids.. And again, People keep plecos as algae eaters. A lot of african cichlids are algae grazers to begin with. So dependent on the type of african cichlid it is. It may not even be nessasary

Also if its your oscar that your refering as an 'african cichlid' its actually a south american cichlid
If thats the case then a larger pleco such as a common pleco or gibbiceps/sailfin then they in fact CAN be kept together
Although these larger fish need much more space as said above

Thank you once again I know but tomorrow or satuday I might be getting 6 neon tetras and 3 guppies or replace the 3 guppies with a dwarf Gourmi

Africans and plecos usually get along fine. Biggest problem I see is a common pleco grows over 24" which requires a massive tank. Many people keep the more armored plecos like bristlenose a in with Africans

Ok thanks but I think I will get 6 neon tetras and 1 dwarf gourmi

Back
Top Bottom