Albino Pleco not eating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got-to-love-Chiclids

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I have had this guy for about 4 day now and I can not say I have seen him eat anything other then the algae in the tank I have left him sliced cucumber over night in the tank and it has remained non eaten ever night

It may not yet recognize the cuc as food (not that nutritional either). It will once it is hungry enough though. Experiment with algae wafers, spinach, green beans, etc.

I have to say my BNP hasn't ever been too fond of anything except algae in my tank and the occasional algae wafer. I will put in some lettuce or cuc and he just ignores it.

I wouldn't worry. My pleco is still living even though he doesn't really eat any supplumental veggies. Just feed him a piece of algae pellet every other night or so.

You may keep trying different vegetables until you find one he likes.

Do I have had this guy for about 4 day now and I can not say I have seen him eat anything other then the algae in the tank I have left him sliced cucumber over night in the tank and it has remained non eaten ever night

Have you tried "algae wafers"?

Does anyone know what commercial breeders would likely feed young plecos? Whatever food he was fed by the breeders would be "normal food" for him and would be what he would be used to eating.

CatmanDru said:
Have you tried "algae wafers"?

Does anyone know what commercial breeders would likely feed young plecos? Whatever food he was fed by the breeders would be "normal food" for him and would be what he would be used to eating.

Yep, try French cut green beans straight from the can.

Mumma.of.two said:
How big are they? I found when mine where about an inch they only wanted to eat algae and wafers but when they got bigger started eating anything I offered.

He is about an inch. Here is a pic of the little guy.

Attachments

• image-3064959672.jpg
    image-3064959672.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 55
That's what some breeders/farm people feed them. I've had a few groups of plecos come in that were really picky and not eating and after asking around I've always gotten that answer. It's worth a shot.

That's what some breeders/farm people feed them. I've had a few groups of plecos come in that were really picky and not eating and after asking around I've always gotten that answer. It's worth a shot.

Thank you. Honestly, that's not the food I would have expected, but I guess it makes sense for a breeder: cheap, easy, fairly nutritious...

Jetajockey, did canned french cut green beans work for your finicky-eater plecos?

Maybe that will help the OP and others.

So got-to-love-Chiclids, and others with picky-eater plecos, try French-cut green beans straight from the can.

Back
Top Bottom