Angel Fish Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a 55 gallon tank that was given to me. I will have an aquaclear 110 for the main filter with something else, not sure what yet, that I have laying around. I would like to center this tank around angel fish. The only other thing I want in this tank besides angels is maybe about 6 panda cories.

How many angels should I start out with? I don't mind some aggression but I don't want to be freaking out trying to find some where to put the fish that is getting killed etc. I do have a 75 gallon communtiy tank with 1 angel, so I could concieveablly put one or two in there if I had to. I really don't know that much about angel behavior or stocking situations. Just trying to get all the tips I can ahead of time.

Thanks so much!

I have a bunch of angels. Everyone one on this forum has freaked out about it. So far my guys are good and get along but experience says once the angels start breeding all heck breaks loose. I do think since mine were all the same size and from the same place I have been given a little more time. The real famous Japanese guy shows tanks with schools of big angels but that might just be a show tank.

I will be interested to see your experience.

I had 7 that were good until one pair started to breed then they started to kill off the others. Now I have 3. You never can tell though. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies!

I've read a lot of places that you are pretty much safe from aggression with 2 angelfish in a 55, and even 3 because it is not likely that you will get a pair out of only 3. I don't really care if I have a pair or not anyway. I wouldn't have any room for the babies and I don't want to have to sell any.

I do have a 75 gallon community with one juvenile angel right now, and the ones I'm going to be getting for the 55 are juveniles too. So I figure If I get 3 and 2 do pair up, I could just put the other one in the 75 gallon and then have 2 in each tank.

Should that be ok?

Your idea could work. Since angels are known for their aggressiveness, there really is a strong tendency for them to hurt each other, but it shouldn't always be the case. You can always observe their behavior in about 3 days and then if you feel that they're being too aggressive with each other, then ya, move the other angel away. What angel will you be getting? There are lots of them. Here, maybe this link can give you an idea of what to get.

Pterophyllum scalare (Angelfish)

Goodluck!

I have 8 large (over the size of a baseball diameter) silver angels in my 55g tank along with a 4.5" BN pleco. The angels are about 18 months old now, have bred several times, and they all get along just fine. There are 3 pairs of angelfish for sure and they each claim their own territories. Hardly ever any fighting, only displays and quick skirmishes.

I suggest that you keep anywhere from 6-8 in your tank depending on how stocked it is with other fish. I only have to change out 20 gallons every week in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom