Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was recently looking at angelfish in my lfs and decided I needed to have them. I know I cant put them in my current tank(contains tiger barbs), so I would have to get a new one. Whats a good size >30 gallons and how many angels would I be able to get in there? I have an empty 10gal i'm going to fill up that I would use to raise them when they're small, and would move them into a larger tank when they get bigger (The angels at the lfs were babies and they were adorable :) less than one inch in width). I also have a ph around 7.5 and I dont plan on changing it(too much work :( ) Would angelfish be able to adapt to this?

For angels you need a long and tall tank, as they can grow to about 8 inches in height and like to swim. I'd advise a 55 gallon or larger tank. Allivymar has a 55 in which she keeps her angels, and they do well there (spawning often!). A 10 is really only sufficient for a little while, as angels can be aggressive and will grow relatively fast.

A pH of 7.5 is fine for them--they like a neutral pH.

*grin* Angelfish...yay!

Some basic info (didn't you read my angelfish article Endgame?):

Adult angels need at least 10g each; both because of territory issues as well as needed height for those big ol fins. I have 5 in my 55g, and 2 in my 25g. I'd suggest no more then 3 adults for a 30g, which will start off fine as dime/quarter size fish in the 10g for a month or 2.

As madasa said, your pH is fine. Its only when one has wild angels one needs to be really concerned about pH; domestic angels can handle a pretty wide variety of pH and have even been known to breed in a pH of 8.0!

Now go read the article in the fish and plant profiles forum and see if you have any more questions after you're done *grin*

Back
Top Bottom