Another Angelfish question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linsay

Aquarium Advice Regular
How quickly do angels grow? My husband would LOVE to add them to our 20 gallon tank, but I am concerned with space issues. House of Angels (an online retailer) suggested that we could have 3-4 angels in a 20 gallon tank, but I know Allymar(did I destroy that name) says only 1 per 10 gallons. We are quite taken with our finned friends are definately thinking of buying a larger tank in the future.(1yr or so). If we bought small angels would they grow slowly enough that we could keep them in the 20 gallon and move them to a 55 in a year or so?

Oh, update on my tank for those interested: Our ammonia has finally dropped to 4 from 8 - again who knows what is accurate because of the ammolock my hubby insisted on adding. I have hidden the ammolock and added a dose of Bio Spira. Our nitrites have gone to 0 to at least registering a tad. (just added it last night)

On a good note I found a great (I hope) fish store about an hour from my house. The only other stores we have near us are the mass pet stores chains - who have great prices on supplies but know squat about fish. I was slightly concerned to see they had painted fish at the store, though. It bothers me that people would do that to a fish just for looks, but......heck we women do it to ourselves all the time!

Linsay....

You're correct in thinking that you can keep 3-4 SMALL Angelfish in a 20 gallon tank temporarily but if I were you I would plan on getting that 55 gallon sooner rather than later for the fish's sake. Besides....a 55 gallon tank is really FUN!

I agree a 55 gallon tank would be fun however unless I find someone getting rid of a used tank it will also be expensive :(

Yep....I do understand! I started eyeing a 46 gallon bow-front tank a few months ago....then my gaze drifted to a 55 gallon....and now I'm eyeing a 75-gallon tank with lust in my heart! I mentioned it to the wife today and her eyebrows shot up! Nevertheless....I don't drink or chase wild women so I need SOME sort of vice to keep me off the streets. I think she'll eventually cave in for the 75. :D

*grins* Call me Alli Linsay, its easier.

As for the angels, I go by this guide:

Nickel size bodies 1 fish per gallon
Quarter size bodies 1 fish per 2 gallons
Silver dollar size bodies 1 fish per 3 gallons
Stock ready to be paired 1 fish per 5 gallons
Full grown breeding pair 20 gallon tall

Its from www.angelsplus.com and I suggest perusing the site. Its by one of THE angelfish gurus, and chock full of info and tips. As you see, adult angels require 10g each, but if they are smaller you can give them a little less space. Do know they grow fairly fast; I find quarter sized angels reach adult size in about 5 months or so. Keep in mind, they are cichlids and get pretty territorial; I have 5 in my 55g atm, and they are always beating on each other LOL thats the main reason for the need for 10g each.

I suggest, once your ammonia levels register zero, you can pick out a few new campers for your tank *grin* Make sure the ones you get have fins in good shape, are alert and interested, and are eating (ask the lfs to feed em for you). If you are looking to breed em (which I wasn't, but they ignored me LOL) buy your fish from a breeder and not a lfs. Otherwise just make sure they're healthy :)

Oh, now see, Linsay...you have been bitten by the bug....I'm in the same boat. I want angels so bad I can taste it and spend my days going through the newspaper for someone who is getting rid of one...I'll be hitting yardsales as soon as it is warm.

I missed the chance to buy a 55 gallon with cover, heater, etc. for $150 (could have offered $100 and gotten it, I think) cuz the guy was a dirtball and I didn't think I could get the crud out of it. He's moved now and no one knows where he is. Oh well, live and learn....

I think I'm going to get a 29 first, though to move my current guys into and move the two bettas (split tank) into the 10. Does anyone know if they have dividers that will allow bottom feeders to go in between, but not allow the bettas through?

You have no idea, Kwenbee - I am sooooo bitten by the bug :)

Linsay, wow that is my name too!! 8) LOL...Anyways, I saw you mentioning that a 55 is very expensive. They are, but from my experiences, go to Wal-Mart. I got my 55 gal setup from them, cause I don't have much money to spend either, for like.....235 dollars max with stand. If you have a store close to you, I would check it out. Mine has lasted almost a year, so they arent cheaply made =) Also, in the kit you get the tank, 2 hoods, 2 lightbulbs, only one filter(I had to buy another to get more filtration), a heater, thermometer, food, water conditioner, net, book, and some other small stuff. The stand is seperate and is of good quality. So, if you are interested, I suggest checking out Wally-World, ya never know what you are going to find there :)
Beats going to actual pet stores(petsmart, superpetz, etc) and paying almost double that on one, atleast here in MD anyways.

Anyhow, good luck with things!

(actually a combination of my first and last names)
Thanks for the suggestion - that is much cheaper than I've seen elsewhere!!

I grabbed my 55g tank, hood, lights n stand from Petsmart for $200 (stand was $99, tank with hood n lights was $99) last August. Had to buy the heater/filter/etc myself tho. Shoulda seen hubby and me trying to bring it home in my 2 door Honda Civic tho LOL I was hanging out the window LOL

cool - was it a sale? last time I looked they were a lot more than that! I wish I could have seen the trip home LOL!

Nope, no sale. Give your local Petsmart a call; if they don't have em in stock, see if they'll bring em in from another Petsmart or order one for you!

Guess Im lucky in the tank respect, I have a good friend who raises fish, and is constantly buying new tanks, so I talk him into giving me alot of his old ones. But he just wont give me the bigger tanks lol. Oh well.

Our Walmart has the 55 gallon...but the tank and setup stuff alone is $156, the stand is $75. I don't like the stand (it's black and won't work in my house) plus, I'm having hubby build me a stand so all the tanks can be together.

My concern was the quality of the filters and stuff from Walmart in those prepackaged deals.

I am watching the papers and yardsales, but I might look into that Petsmart thing. I also am keeping an eye out for sales at fish stores. Since I don't have the stand ready yet, I could buy the tank anytime...if the tank appears, hubby will have no choice but to build the stand :wink:

First, I need to buy the 29 gallon to move our current 10 gallon inhabitants to. I had no problem with our first betta in the one gallon tank, but I'm feeling very guilty about the new one being in there...especially since I see how much happier Bill the betta is in his 5 gallon.

Maybe this weekend I'll splurge on the 29....and where do I get byo-spyra since I'm done with this water change cycling method? It's gettin annoying!

www.BENNETT@MARINELAND.COM check out the web site of the creators of bio spira - they have a listing of what stores in your area carry their products - that is how I found an ACTUAL fish store in my area (ok about 45-1hr away but better then none at all!)

Back
Top Bottom