Apistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I was looking for advice on whether any apistos would do well in a community tank (neon tetras, honey gourami, pygmy corys, white cloud minnows, algae eating goby). I also have moderately hard water where I live.

My LFS just got some in, and I'm trying to decide how to finish out my tank's stock.

Thanks!

Apistogramma are pretty placid and I had them in a 100g community tank. Male and female. They have a really cool mating dance. You should get them.

Apistogramma are pretty placid and I had them in a 100g community tank. Male and female. They have a really cool mating dance. You should get them.

Great! I may try to get some if they aren't all gone by the time I get there. : )

Out of cacatuoides, agassizi, and panduro what would be a good bet for a ciclid beginner like me? Or are they all fairly undemanding?

I think they're all hard water tolerant, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Try and get a male and female of one species. I like the first two species myself. Just go with what you like the most. I love the long orange fins of the male. A male and female though are very entertaining. German blue rams are good too and have brilliant colours but can be very sensitive from breeding over time.

It depends on tank size, a big enough tank will be okay - to small a tank and some if your fish will perish. My female Panduro killed 3 Habrosus Cory during a spawn. The lower the pH and softer water the better as some will not breed or colour up well in the wrong conditions.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....sounds like my tank may not be the best then. The smallish size and out hard water sounds like it would be pretty problematic from what you're saying. Too bad, they seem like really neat fish!!

Thank you for the advice.

You'd be fine.. I have a pair of German Rams with amazing colors and they have spawned 3 times. My PH is 7.6. We have well water so I bet it's not very soft either.

I would try it out. It might end bad, but if it ends good, it will be worth it! just acclimate them very slowly, and keep an eye on them and your other fish.

I decided against them. : ( They're expensive ($30/fish) and I would rather do the setup right for them. My LFS ha some really neat luetenistic variety as well as some of the reds, but they're all hard water sensitive. I also don't want to rehome my corys if there are aggression issues, they're some of my favorites!!

But the brightly colored ones are amazing looking fish, if I redo my tank someday I may set it up specifically for them...

Im actually gonna have a single male in my community tank with a dwarf gourami panda cories and a school of rummynose if u do either a male or a female there shouldn't be aggression due to the whole not being able to breed.

Im actually gonna have a single male in my community tank with a dwarf gourami panda cories and a school of rummynose if u do either a male or a female there shouldn't be aggression due to the whole not being able to breed.

A lot of my issue is my water too though, all the varieties I really like need softer water than what we've got here. For example, rummy nose tetras are on the list of fish I would have to do partial RO water for to lower hardness (another fave rotor of mine that I can't keep right now!!). But I don't think I realized you could do a male only, that sounds like it would be easier to work into a community setting!

A lot of my issue is my water too though, all the varieties I really like need softer water than what we've got here. For example, rummy nose tetras are on the list of fish I would have to do partial RO water for to lower hardness (another fave rotor of mine that I can't keep right now!!). But I don't think I realized you could do a male only, that sounds like it would be easier to work into a community setting!

I take it you have really hard water mine is 5-7dkh from the tap and my rummynose seem to do fine. I have heard of people mixing ro and tap water to soften it there are allso water softener pillows but I'm sure there not cheap. Well I hope you can end up with what you want. Good luck.

I take it you have really hard water mine is 5-7dkh from the tap and my rummynose seem to do fine. I have heard of people mixing ro and tap water to soften it there are allso water softener pillows but I'm sure there not cheap. Well I hope you can end up with what you want. Good luck.

Got my pillow form petco for $8 and it works pretty good

Just get driftwood. It works way better. Just takes a few months but is worth it. Plus you can grow miss and plants like java fern on it.

Back
Top Bottom