Are my angels stunted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 angels in a 29 gallon tank and they are about 3-4 inches long. They used to be in my 55 but after they became a pair and started to lay eggs I had to move them for aggression issues. So now sadly they are kinda in a tank that's too small. They are about a year and a half to 2 years old so do you guys think they are stunted? Also their breeding tubes are always out. Is that normal?

Yes I would say it's a good possibility since fish release the hormone cortisol, which is responsible for many of the negative health effects associated with stress. In addition to having a negative effect on growth, reproduction, and digestion, chronic stress also lowers the ability of the immune system to respond effectively and fully fighting disease outbreaks. This lowered immune response is what allows parasites, bacteria infections, and fungus to infect a stressed fish leading to disease and potential death.

Last edited:
Yes I would say it's a good possibility since fish release the hormone cortisol, which is responsible for many of the negative health effects associated with stress. In addition to having a negative effect on growth, reproduction, and digestion, chronic stress also lowers the ability of the immune system to respond effectively and fully fighting disease outbreaks. This lowered immune response is what allows parasites, bacteria infections, and fungus to infect a stressed fish leading to disease and potential death.

I understand where you're coming from here, but what would be the main source for their stress. They have always exhibited perfectly normal angel behavior and seem as happy as a fish can be.

All fish stressed or not release cortisol, this is why fish grow larger in larger aquariums over the same fish in a smaller one. That is the largest factor in stunting, the second is generally prolonged exposure to a high nitrate concentration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom